iPhone Skype Recording

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NickClapper, Aug 29, 2016.

1. NickClapper macrumors newbie

Hi guys – I'm trying to find a solution to a problem that's been coming up. I produce a podcast and we frequently have to speak to guests who aren't able to come into our very low-tech studio. Historically, we've been using call recorder software on laptops to record their calls and that sounds ok with Skype (though pretty desperate with phonecalls). Recently we've been encouraging guests to record themselves on their phone whilst talking to us via their laptop, and then send us the MP3/WAV file of the recording, and that's produced much better results. The issue which arises is that often our guests want to use Skype on their iPhone, which would be fine if we could run a voice recorder app in the background, as they're out and about.

So my question is this: is there a way that I can make a voice recording whilst running the Skype or phone app? I don't need to record both ends of the call, just the person who isn't in the studio. I suspect that there may be privacy laws at play here but any tips on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Also, any other ideas for workarounds in terms of getting a better quality recording from our interviewees would be good to hear!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you looked into Google Hangouts and/or Google Voice to see what potential recording abilities they might offer?

3. NickClapper thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used Google Hangouts in the past for recordings and found that the same issue emerges where I'm getting the sound from the call, rather than the sound recorded at both ends and then either automatically patched together or sent to me as two separate MP3 files.

Do you know of a workaround using Google Hangout/Voice?