iphone/skype..rip off??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Mar 30, 2009.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't iphone owners be p*ssed that WinMo phones on at+t can you use 3g to make calls via skype? Isn't iphone users being ripped off by at+t?

2. Pennyroyal macrumors member

Normally I hate to be the one ******* but.....

If you expect to be taken seriously you should really consider your grammar.

Personally I'm not mad at all. At home, I can use my own WiFi at Starbucks I can use WiFi. It doesn't bug me one bit. If I have to get off the phone because I'm going to be in-transit, its just a reminder to not talk on the phone while I drive.

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Grammar does not seem to be that bad, I've seen a lot worse on here.

I'm unfamiliar with AT&T but know that there is an app on cydia that allows you to trick your iphone into thinking E/3G is WiFi and therefore can use Skype/Fring anywhere.

But wait until the app is out until we start to complain. We already have enough of that with 3.0, heh.

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

you forget that iphone owners arent the only ones on the att network. i would guess that giving apps like skype and slingplayer access to 3g would probably bring atts network to its knees just because of the sheer number and the frequency at which they use the internet vs other phones.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

where does sling player come into all of this? you have no idea if it will allow 3g or not.

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

thats why i said "i would guess". please l2read.

7. Pennyroyal macrumors member

8. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The point I was making: WinMo phones on at+t can use skype via 3g but the iphone can't.... BTW, regarding slingplayer, it can be used via 3g using some mobile devices. I saw someone using it once at the store. Note I am not sure what device or network being used....

9. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you hate to be the "*******" (whatever that is :rolleyes:) then keep your mouth shut...

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I tried using the War Department's 3G iPhone and it seemed to work on EDGE/3G/WiFi and Skype just fine. Of course, I was just calling my MBP most of the time and my brother in Hawaii on a five minute call.....:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

11. D-Jam macrumors member

I have a feeling the restriction is more from AT&T than anything.

I like that they have VOIP calling with a wi-fi. My GF could call Europe from her home then more easier.

12. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice...then maybe the cnet article was wrong. It claimed that skype only worked via wifi on the iphone.

13. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

there are 2 things you have to consider:

1. the relationship between apple and att vs the relationship between microsoft and att.
    2. skype didnt have to submit the winmo skype app to microsoft for approval, you get it directly from the skype website. same thing holds true with slingplayer. no approval into an app store = no arbitrary restrictions.

your assumption about slingplayer being able to work over 3g because it works over 3g on other phones seems silly because are we not currently discussing how skype for the iphone only works over wifi when it works over 3g on other phones?

14. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

This might be of interest for Jailbroken users/people wishing to get it working on 3G. :)

15. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was you who mentioned slingbox first in this thread. I was merely replying that it does work over 3G since I have seen it working... Additionally you assume that skype and slingplayer would bring at+t "to its knees".. Do you have any evidence of this or are you being "silly" with your assumption? ;)

16. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

You should just go and visit him in hawaii :)

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

18. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

yea i mentioned slingbox because i thought the 2 apps shared a common fate, to be relegated to wifi only because of apples relationship with att. now of course my comments about slingbox are pure guesswork, but i feel that i have a more evidence on my side of the argument than those thinking it will work over 3g.

i am fully aware that winmo can use slingplayer over 3g, but that means absolutely nothing because they can use skype over 3g too. when it comes to cross platform apps, you can not assume that the iphone version will have the same functionality as a winmo version.

as far as skype and slingplayer bringing att to its knees, you only have to go back a few weeks to sxsw to see what a bunch of iphones heavily using the network can do to att. i just dont think att has the capacity to handle the iphone population streaming tv shows and making 3g voip calls. we all know that iphone users use the internet more than users with other phones.

so lets hear your speculation. ;)

19. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Looking at your previous posts, almost every one of them have grammatical errors:

-"iTunes shows that I have about 5 igs (gigs) used on music"
    -"I've restarted and rebooted several times, the problem is yet unsolved." (the problem is yet solved)
    -"I have recently been giving (given) a testing spot and sent a link to download the 3.0 firmware.
    I come to ask what problems this can cause or (for) me."

So until you're perfect, please stay quiet.

20. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You keep mentioning "apples relationship with att"... Do you really know how it is? You'd think apple with its uber-popular iphone would have some pull with att...right?

Regarding slingbox, I guess only time will tell. If iphone is forced to use wifi only with slingbox, then thats a strike against the iphone. Regarding skype and iphone, I read that 3g can be used with 3.0 of firmware. Hopefully that is true or else that is another strike against it.

I guess we have to disagree on that. I expect iphone app features to be similar to winmo (if not better), within reason (e.g. understandably but unfortunately iphone lacks multitasking....*sigh*)

Thats too bad. Does the iphone really use that much data? From the apps I have seen only a small amount of data is used. Even for streaming video, the screens of cell phones are small and video is highly compressed, possibly mpeg4. Thus it should not use that much data. I imagine the g1 uses as much data as iphone. What is sxsw? I was at a store and a customer was watching football via the slingbox on his mobile device. Note that I don't have an iphone but I have a touch. My contract is up and I want to see what the new iphone brings. If an iphone is forced to use wifi while other phones can use 3g or wifi, then that is not good for iphone in my book...

21. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

im not denying that apple doesnt have pull with att, but i cannot believe that att is powerless in that relationship.

you can use skype over 3g with 3.0 but i think it is more likely a bug than an intended feature. you can also use skype over 3g on jailbroken iphones.

of course you would expect it, but that is unrealistic imo because of the restrictions put in place by apple. developers like skype are not forced to cripple their apps for other mobile platforms because they do not have to go through an app store approval process (although with other platforms starting up app stores this may change).

i wasnt really saying that the iphone uses MORE data than other phones, but that iphone users themselves use data MORE than others. check out this article. this is in large because of how nice safari is on the iphone compared to pocket ie/opera mini/blackberry browser.

if you google "sxsw att outage" you will see what i mean. having a few thousand iphone users at sxsw apparently destroyed the autstin network.

22. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting...I will wait and see which phone to get. I'd like to get the iphone, but I don't have to. Its ridiculous if apple alone is limiting the capabilities of their cell phone...

23. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

well my point was that att is making apple do it. i dont think that apple would have that policy if they were simply selling the iphone unlocked from apple stores with no carrier involvement.

personally i have the cell phone/ipod touch combo as well because im not willing to put up with the restrictions.

24. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which phone/service do u have? I have the Q/at+t. If I don't get the iphone, I may get the new touch screen google phone coming out. I am tired of carrying 2 devices (fone/touch). I want an all in one device. I will wait until june/july to decide. I could just go with a jailbroken iphone as well...who knows..

25. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

ive got a g1 on att. when you say all in one do you mean just phone+music player? i think what makes a lot of people buy iphones is drm. once they realize they cant sync the songs they bought in itunes with anything but an iphone/ipod, it makes the decision for them. of course if your music is drm free, you can easily sync it with any smartphone out there and your music library doesnt make the decision for you.