Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I have an iPhone 4 and iOS 5 never had this issue, but I'm experiencing something weird here.

I'm on iOS 6.0.1 now and my iPhone is falling asleep while charging and playing music. The screen used to stay on while playing music as long as it has power to it.

Anyone else having this problem?

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I've been on iOS since 3.0. I've always had my auto-lock set between 2 - 5 minutes and my phones go sleep during charging and music playback as long as the screen, home button and volume rocker/buttons are not touched.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
What's the battery percentage at while you're charging it?

I think it was around 60%.

It's always stayed awake while playing music and plugged in. I know this because often times I'd check the song/artist. I found that last night, my iPhone kept locking on me and it was indeed charging.

----------

I've been on iOS since 3.0. I've always had my auto-lock set between 2 - 5 minutes and my phones go sleep during charging and music playback as long as the screen, home button and volume rocker/buttons are not touched.

It's not supposed to do that.

I've had every iPhone since the original iPhone and when you're playing music AND charging, it will not fall asleep. The display will dim a bit, but as soon as you touch it again, it brightens back up. The display doesn't shut all the way off and make you unlock it though.

My iPhone 4 was actually going completely black and making me unlock it every time.

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to be in the Music app on the Now Playing screen for that to occur.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think it was around 60%.

It's always stayed awake while playing music and plugged in. I know this because often times I'd check the song/artist. I found that last night, my iPhone kept locking on me and it was indeed charging.

----------

It's not supposed to do that.

I've had every iPhone since the original iPhone and when you're playing music AND charging, it will not fall asleep. The display will dim a bit, but as soon as you touch it again, it brightens back up. The display doesn't shut all the way off and make you unlock it though.

My iPhone 4 was actually going completely black and making me unlock it every time.

I didn't have the original iPhone and I honestly don't remember what the 3G/3Gs/4/4s did because always turned auto lock off. I'm sure this is just a screen saving feature.

@AceGuy. I don't believe this makes a difference. On my iP5 while charging in my car and playing music through USB to my radio and it will still go to sleep with my auto lock settings on. .

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
@AceGuy. I don't believe this makes a difference. On my iP5 while charging in my car and playing music through USB to my radio and it will still go to sleep with my auto lock settings on. .

As long as the USB is taking control of the transport. If one has to unlock the phone every time...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If this normal then it would be bad cos the u have to unlock the phone every time u want to do something as simple as NEXT TRACK.
Nah. Just double click home to bring up the lock screen music controls.

OP, I can't help you on this one as I disable auto lock myself. Find it more annoying than useful and I've not once left the screen on by accident and have my phone drain more than 2-3% (if that).

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Nevermind guys. I restarted my phone and it's working correctly again.

Exactly what every iPhone and iPod touch has ever done since the very beginning is this:

1. Plug in iPhone or iPod touch. Make sure it's charging.
2. Press play in the Music app.
3. The iPhone or iPod touch will not go completely to sleep. The screen may dim to about 50%, but it will not make you unlock it again. You only need to tap the screen once to get back to full brightness.

Again, this is how it's always been. I can't figure out why you other people are saying that yours goes to sleep while plugged in and playing music.

Also, if it's just plugged in, and NOT playing music, it will auto-lock.

----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to be in the Music app on the Now Playing screen for that to occur.

You're wrong. I can prove it.

Do you guys want me to take a video?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.