iPhone smart cover, would you buy it?

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
How does it hold to the back of the iPhone? Unlike the iPad, there's no magnets to hold it... You have to glue it on? That's just dumb.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
How does it hold to the back of the iPhone? Unlike the iPad, there's no magnets to hold it... You have to glue it on? That's just dumb.
This is an actual product for sale called the iBackFlip Hitch. Basically there's a magnetic frame on the border of the back of the iPhone. I think in some cases, the magnet is built into an iPhone case. The magnet is powerful enough for you to post your iPhone on a metallic surface like a fridge or wall.

From what I've seen from products like this, these "smart covers" are NOT meant to cover the front of the phone. The cover sticks to the back for you to fold up as a stand or to wrap your earbuds around (and then removed to be stowed away). The inclusion of the magnet allows you to post the iPhone against walls, whiteboards, fridges, etc.

mikeglongo

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
Looks pretty ridiculous. The screen is pretty tiny for that cover to actually serve any justice or use.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I wouldn't mind a semi-permanent "stand" when used like that.

But I would be uncovering it all the time to see texts, phone calls and notifications. Maybe to the point of being obsessive compulsive. Then throw the thing across the room.

Also this would mean no bumper or cases besides a back cover. I went naked with my 4S for a while but then it fell in a parking lot. While raining. Never again.

When I was in Australia though, I noticed one of the most popular cases is one that has a flap that goes on top of the front of the iPhone. Again, I think that would drive me nuts but hey.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
If it comes in the same "elegance" as on the iPad: yes.
If I have to put some bulky frame around first: no.

In general I would like it because my iPhone and iPad could go in pair-look; like Denny DeVito and Arnold in Twins. :cool:

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think it's that bad actually. Same price as a bumper or screen protector and the back of my phone is what I worry about the most. I may try one.