iPhone SMS auto reply & forward

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kevo1011, Jul 26, 2013.

1. kevo1011 macrumors regular

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/sms

Apparently Rogers wireless in Canada has brought SMS auto reply & SMS forward to iPhones without jailbreak. This appears to be a carrier service. I have expressed my interest to AT&T about this feature via Twitter. I'm hoping others will be intereted and express their interest here and via Twitter. Hopefully if enough people express interest AT&T will consider offering this service. Thank you.

2. kevo1011 thread starter macrumors regular

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Been requested of Verizon and likely most other carriers for years now (with some other carriers implementing this at least some time back now too). Haven't seen much movement on it. It more than likely won't really happen until the carriers decide for themselves that they want to offer it for one reason or another.

4. rrandyy macrumors 6502

These features are for SMS text messages that go through the carrier. The majority of iPhone messages (mine, at least) are through iMessage, which the carrier cannot access. Therefore, the carrier can't auto respond or forward the message.

If anything, this would have to be a feature that Apple implements on their server, which you can configure.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's that too.

6. kevo1011 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I receive imessages on both my work phone and personal phone. I have it set under messages to receive at both locations. So SMS, forward by the carrier could actually work. It would only have to forward SMS's.

I do not see Apple adding this anytime soon, so I am hoping the carriers will.