iPhone SMS lag issue. Possible fix..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverickuk, Aug 25, 2008.

1. maverickuk macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm a little nervous posting this here as you guys appear to know everything already. But as of yet, I've not read this before so hopefully it will help you out and I won't be shot down in flames.

I was browsing the App store a few days ago but when I closed the app, the icon was slightly dimmed. Before I had a chance to investigate, I received an SMS, replying was painful.

It dawned on me, that the App store icon wasn't quite right. I sent another 'test' sms and sure enough it was slow. I open/closed the app store, sent another SMS and low and behold the lag had completely gone.

Over the past few days, it's happened a few times and each time the app store icon was dimmed. It may well happen with other apps too, so please post your experience. But a simple open/close of the app fixes the issue for me.

I made a post about it on my blog, if you have a moment, please give it a quick Digg.

http://digg.com/apple/Quick_fix_for_iPhone_SMS_lag/

Thanks guys, let me know your own experiences.

Paul

2. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

Anybody managed to replicate yet?

I'm intrigued to find out whether this is the only cause for the lag. If so, you'd think it would be a reasonably easy fix for Apple.

3. Samuel88 macrumors newbie

It worked for me. I'll be trying this more to see if I get consistent results.

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hmm ...

I have noticed that it seems to take a few seconds after arriving back at the home screen to have the app completely unload itself from memory.

You could very well be onto something.

HOWEVER,

If I'm doing something on the phone, and that SMS dialog pops up - I should be able to hit the reply button and start typing; without having to worry about what's loaded or unloaded.

5. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

Definitely. What has got me stumped is why Apple haven't given us a fix yet. SMS in the UK is massive, I use SMS more than I do actual phone calls.

It's annoying that one of the basic features is flawed by a bug.

6. 3601377 macrumors newbie

I've just signed up so that I can respond to this thread. This bug really is frustrating. I have just had the sms crawl and low and behold the app icon was crashed. I confirm this works.

Thanks maverickuk!

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Your fix is not specific to the App Store. I've encountered SMS lag without ever opening the App Store after a restart.

What has been discussed here in several threads is that most every Apple proprietary app (Mail, Safari, Notes, etc) can and does continue to eat memory after being "closed", causing typing lag.

Force quitting the App store may work for you; force quitting Safari usually does it for me. For others it's Maps. And on and on...

8. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

It's good to know it's not unique to the App store.

Have you monitored whether or not the icon of the affected app, it dimmed?

Btw not everybody uses the forums. I check the news daily. To me, this is news worthy and would have saved several hundred reboots had Arn posted it up.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've seen dimmed icons here and there, no rhyme or reason; the phone thinks the icon is depressed, and the user becomes depressed.

Suffice it to say there are memory leaks throughout the OS. People have been trying to come up with causes and solutions since day one. They all work/none of them work, depending on who knows what. The only magic bullet is in Apple's gun. Let's just hope the gun will be fired with 2.1.

10. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

What causes the icons to become dimmed. I've noticed this before, where an icon seems to get stuck in the dimmed state. Eventually it goes away, but I have no idea what I did to cause it.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You didn't do anything. It's a memory leak.

Ever spill a Coke on a keyboard? The keys get sticky. Press a key and sometimes it pops back up, but it can take a while, while other times you have to pry it up manually.

With the 3G, Apple bought the world a Coke.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Or possibly a Coke II.

13. dranakin macrumors 6502

Dimmed icons? Can anyone post a screenshot of that? I can't tell if any of my apps ever go dim.

EDIT: Reread post #9. I think I get it now.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think they can sometimes get stuck when you're swiping between screens and you click an icon at the same time as you swipe and it gets stuck thinking your finger is still on it. This has happened to me many times. All I do is just tap and slide my finger off the icon to get it to come back to normal again.