Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hands0n

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
North Kent, UK
Well? Have they? I don't think that I've seen such a frenzy since the days prior to the original iPhone, or the iPhone 3G. Not even 2.0 software generated this level of [shall we just be kind and call it] interest.

That people are signing up to, and paying $99 (min) for, the iPhone Developer programme is nuts! Just to get hold of the phone firmware a few months early, bugs and all, only to be given it free of charge soon enough.

So what on earth has generated this mass hysteria? Why, and where is it centered? And is there any medication that can be given to get people to calm down a little :D

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I know $99 just to forward a text. Lol!!!!!

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I know $99 just to forward a text. Lol!!!!!

No, I became a developer to create my own applications and beta test there software - And I am doing this at present.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
It is probably the most significant update so far, with tons of new features and possibilities, also i think this has encouraged many to have a go at making there own apps.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

I haven't (and won't) sign up as a dev, but the lure of 3.0 is definitely strong. It's a whole lot of things a lot of us have wanted for a long long time.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
I think for a lot of people they downloaded a copy from torrent sites and found out the hard way you can't just install beta 3.0 without being a developer and there's no downgrading. So your phone is bricked unless you sign up.. if anything I bet apple has made an extra $80,000-100,000 in a few days just from that alone.

I signed up to create a few simple apps I need and figure I can sell them or give them away :)

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I've been developing for a while (Java, C++, VB, .Net etc.) so when 3.0 became available, it was perfect time for me to start programming for iPhone as well.

No, I havent lost my mind but trying to gain more knowledge.

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
I think for a lot of people they downloaded a copy from torrent sites and found out the hard way you can't just install beta 3.0 without being a developer and there's no downgrading. So your phone is bricked unless you sign up.. if anything I bet apple has made an extra $80,000-100,000 in a few days just from that alone.

I signed up to create a few simple apps I need and figure I can sell them or give them away :)

I was able to downgrade my phone quite easily actually. 2.2.1 works fine despite the new baseband. If anyone wants to downgrade then just look around the forum. There are plenty of threads available.

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
I really hope nobody is spending $99 just to get this software! I am dying to try it out, but there's no way that I'd do it just for a few months use. Also, my phone is jailbroken and I don't want to do without those great features for 4 months. So, I'll just live vicariously through this website!! :D

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well? Have they? I don't think that I've seen such a frenzy since the days prior to the original iPhone, or the iPhone 3G. Not even 2.0 software generated this level of [shall we just be kind and call it] interest.

That people are signing up to, and paying $99 (min) for, the iPhone Developer programme is nuts! Just to get hold of the phone firmware a few months early, bugs and all, only to be given it free of charge soon enough.

So what on earth has generated this mass hysteria? Why, and where is it centered? And is there any medication that can be given to get people to calm down a little :D

What the hell, you realize there is a BIG number of developers/future developers here right?

diemos

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Hey, why don't you get out a bit more with people and talk person to person without a phone. Maybe you'll want the os3 less. :p

D-Jam

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think if a normal user paid $99 for an update, then I'd say they're crazy.

However, if you developed an app that managed to get significant downloads or even moderate downloads, then I'd say it's smart to pay now and find out if your apps will still work in 3.0, especially if you are making money off the apps.

Worst thing to have happen would be June when it's totally released, and then your app is failing. Better to be prepared.

If your app or apps though are not very popular or didn't get hardly any downloads, then I could see waiting, unless you just want to get in on things now and have big ideas that 3.0 will make possibly.

It's all about personal preference.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
i didnt pay $99..i paid $10 to someone who put me on their developer account..$10 bucks to try out new, feature rich software 3 months early? its worth it for me

kenkamm

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
So what on earth has generated this mass hysteria?
The fact that this is the first time that really seems like apple has been listening to what the users want, instead of releasing updates that have things that were not terribly highly requested (like street view...) We are finally getting some features that we have been asking for since soon after the iPhone came into existence.

Hands0n

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
North Kent, UK
What the hell, you realize there is a BIG number of developers/future developers here right?

I'll accept that there are developers who will legitimately sign up for and download the SDK. Thats completely fair enough. However, if it is these same developers who are complaining about 3.0 being buggy, this not working, that not working, how do I get a copy of it, can I get a DMG of it and no end of other stuff then I rest my case for the prosecution m'lud. Complete mass hysteria :)

Me? I'm a developer and it makes me wonder why anyone other than "one of us" would want to pay $99 to download the preview kit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.