Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryank808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm trying to install iOS4 onto my 3GS, but it gives me the message "cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted".

- I have iTunes 9.2 installed.
- The file I'm trying to install is iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw.

Any idea what I could do?

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
updated my main line the other day when 4.0 came out, now trying to do my second line, either there servers are down, or they are blocking it ....

good luck getting it to work, ill be trying again in a few

ryank808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
updated my main line the other day when 4.0 came out, now trying to do my second line, either there servers are down, or they are blocking it ....

good luck getting it to work, ill be trying again in a few

Were you able to update your second line?

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Did you make sure you try to install the firmware by clicking the restore button rather than the update button? (then selecting your 4.0gm firmware)

ryank808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Did you make sure you try to install the firmware by clicking the restore button rather than the update button? (then selecting your 4.0gm firmware)

Yes I'm sure I clicked the restore button.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Yes I'm sure I clicked the restore button.

Hmm weird, sorry I do not know then. When I first tried to install 4.0 GM I did the option update button, and got that error.
Then I did option + restore and it worked fine.

Keep us updated if you found a solution

ryank808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Hmm weird, sorry I do not know then. When I first tried to install 4.0 GM I did the option update button, and got that error.
Then I did option + restore and it worked fine.

Keep us updated if you found a solution

Here is what the screen looks like...

errormmt.jpg

I'm re-downloading iOS4 from another site, maybe it will work. (probably wont make a difference though).

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Here is what the screen looks like...

errormmt.jpg

I'm re-downloading iOS4 from another site, maybe it will work. (probably wont make a difference though).

Perhaps also try downloading the iTunes 9.2 beta (not today's release) and try to see if it will install that way. Then upgrade to the iTunes 9.2 GM (today's release)?

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
two comps and two iphones here...

mac with 9.2 beta that was released when 4.0 gm was released.

as well as a windows 7 comp

two iphones one updated when 4.0 gm was released

now the second phone wont update.
so it's not a matter of redownloading anything, i get the error when it tries to verify the restore with the apple servers (probably offline or something)

ryank808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
two comps and two iphones here...

mac with 9.2 beta that was released when 4.0 gm was released.

as well as a windows 7 comp

two iphones one updated when 4.0 gm was released

now the second phone wont update.
so it's not a matter of redownloading anything, i get the error when it tries to verify the restore with the apple servers (probably offline or something)

Ok. At least I know its not just me now.
Thanks for the update.

I get the error when trying to verify with the server too.

ryank808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
It's working now!

Got past verification....now says "Restoring iPhone software"

Hopefully it will fully install without anymore problems.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
I was having the same problem around midnight. I went to a PC and tried and it worked.

Jester801

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Help Me =/

I'm using Window's XP and trying to restore my iPhone 3gs now, but whenever I do it goes past the first part just fine but the second it starts to say preparing phone or whatever my phone's screen goes blank and the computer makes the disconectiong sound from when u disconect the USB from the port and the screen goes blank and than makes the reconecting sound... HELP ME PLEASE :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.