iPhone software to allow camera to capture as video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Auzburner, May 31, 2008.

1. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

With the physical hardware in the iPhone, is it possible for a 3rd party app too allow camera to capture as video instead of snapshots? Could it possibly be seen in iPhone 2.0?
    Thanks.

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

it could be coming in iphone 2.0 but i doubt it

3. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Umm, yeah I'm pretty sure there is an app that does it already.... need jailbreak for now though. I think I read they are making it for the app store though.

4. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

okay great - i figured that's how it would go... I wonder if Apple will have their own version of it.

5. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Yes there is an application (via jailbreaking) that allows video capture and zoom on the iPhone's camera. I would expect to either see that in the software upgrade, or with the 3G iPhone.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Just to reiterate, there are a few apps already for video with the current iPhone. Its not a hardware issue that prevents iPhone 1.0 to have video functionality.

7. neven macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind, though, that the official SDK doesn't provide any way to capture video from the camera (for now). Apps can only use the Image Picker, which lets the user give the app an image from Photos or from the camera. Same thing that happens when you go to add a photo for a contact, for instance.

So, apps created the "Apple-recommended way" and sold through the App Store won't be able to shoot video.

This may all change if the next iPhone features video capabilities and Apple updates the OS and the SDK to support it, of course.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dang, no video camera? Oh well, I'm YouTube challenged anyway. :eek::p

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

there is an app called video recorder. it's pretty great in quality to be honest, and you can upload it directly to youtube. you have to buy the full version though but the trial is a lifetime, just 30 seconds of recording.

So yes, it is extremely possible and i think will happen in iPhone 2.0

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd expect that Apple has been hard at work getting a decent back end ready for video, for both versions. Youtube upload integration, video editing perhaps. If it's capable, why not? (or if not, at least get an app on the store that can open up video for v1 iPhones).

11. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm guessing apple wants to do it themselves and thats the reason the sdk doesn't allow deveopers currently to do it their way.

12. frosse macrumors 6502a

3G iphone = video conferencing = video camera :)