iPhone sometimes doesn't ring

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dayloon, Feb 12, 2010.

1. dayloon macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my 3gs which is causing quite a few problems for me. Quite a lot of the time (about 60%) the red "voicemail" dot suddenly appears on my phone and it turns out that somebody tried to call me but the phone didn't ring. Other times the phone will ring but not that often to be honest. It appears as if people are being directed straight to my voicemail without my phone ringing. At the moment i'm looking for a new job so having my phone actually ring when somebody calls me is quite important.

Has anyone heard of this issue before ?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

It's your service/reception. Wherever you are has bad service.

Here, do this. Open phone.app and dial *3001#123453#*, and tell me what number shows up to the right of your carrier text.

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Wait, you're not on ATT -- I don't think that will work. Either way, you have bad reception.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Not exactly. If he's on Edge and using data at the time his calls will go straight to voicemail.

6. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I've had this happen infrequently with my 3GS, and it didn't involve me being on Edge data at the time. A couple of times, the phone was sitting on my coffee table. Yes, the ringer was turned on and the volume turned up. The phone simply didn't ring. And I'm generally pleased with the reception in my area, although no cell service that I've experienced is consistently perfect. Or even consistently consistent.

7. mcarter22 macrumors newbie

I had that problem too

What u should do is look on the left side of ur phone and make sure u havent activated the must switch on ur phone. If you do see a tiny red dot, just move the switch the opposite direction. Hope this helps and good luck with ur job search :)!!!!!