iPhone sometimes registers phantom taps/touches

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ward, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Ward macrumors newbie

Ward

Piloting a miniature submarine in your brain.
    My 3GS is running 3.01 and has never been jail broken or modified in any way. I've rebooted, but not restored because I don't think it's a software issue.

Sometimes, the phone acts like it's being touched randomly over the lower half of the screen. I noticed this when I was adding a phone number to a contact - extra numbers appeared as I tapped and continued to appear after I stopped. It only lasted a few seconds, but when I moved to delete the numbers, then whole screen was unresponsive to my touch.

I pressed the home button, which worked as expected, but the screen was still unresponsive: I couldn't start any other application. I switched the phone on and off and everything returned to normal. It happened again a few times with other applications and when I try sliding to unlock, so I rebooted the phone and cleaned the screen with a lens cloth. It happened once more afterwards and again - I have to power cycle the phone a few times to fix it.

I've set up my digital camera on a tripod to try and catch it - but Sod's Law means it'll never happen whilst I'm recording! :rolleyes:

I've booked an appointment at the Genius Bar on Sunday. Any advice?

P.S. It's nowhere near as bad as this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=754853

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It probably is a hardware issue (your digitizer is going bad), but the Genius is going to ask if you restored, so you might as well try it. I doubt it will fix it, but it doesn't hurt.

3. Ward thread starter macrumors newbie

Ward

Piloting a miniature submarine in your brain.
    Thanks. A restore is in progress.

Knowing my luck, it'll be absolutely fine and I'll be hard pressed to convince the genius that anything is wrong.

Oh, well, I can always take it back again if I do somehow capture it on video.