Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penyekz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Need to get a recommendation for a good iphone/ipod docking station/speaker.

My initial requirements were:

1. Excellent sound quality
2. Preferably with an FM radio
3. Budget of about USD$200

I looked around and sort of narrowed down my choices to the JBL family of speakers. I looked at the On Time 200ID but the sound was just not as good as the 200ID. The Radial range is out as its not shielded for mobile phones. So I thought I'd settle for just a speaker set. Which brings me to....

On stage 200 ID vs. On stage IIIP

Which of these would you chaps recommend? I've not managed to compare them head to head at a store (either models would be unavailable at a given store at any point of time)

So far, I'm leaning towards the 200ID as I've listened to it a few times and its been a real pleasure so far.

Any other recommendations for a iphone docking station with my requirements above?

Is it much of an issue NOT to turn on airplane mode when using the iphone in non-magnetically shielded speakers?

penyekz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Thanks for that. I've looked at the iHome series but listening, they don't compare to the JBL in terms of sound which for me is the most important.

So I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck. I've looked at the Bose sound dock but its way overpriced for a slight improvement in sound over the JBL i think

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
Thanks for that. I've looked at the iHome series but listening, they don't compare to the JBL in terms of sound which for me is the most important.

So I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck. I've looked at the Bose sound dock but its way overpriced for a slight improvement in sound over the JBL i think

Mine is in the garage and does a nice job rocking the shop. Havnt listened to JBL, but might for another house dock.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I own the JBL Soundock and it sound fantastic! great bass and I have compared it with other docks in sound and the JBL sounds the best, better then those ihomes.. You can perfectly connect it to a laptop or desktop and enjoy music or a movie. Sound from right to left is very visibale just like a two channel speaker. 200id I believe is the verion but does not have a clock. And let's not forget it looks really nice on a desk, it comes with a small remote too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.