Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I have a 3g iphone that has an intermittent speaker problem. sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. this isn't related to the famous headphone problem. because:

if i slide a thin piece of hard plastic under the dock connector, the speaker will work. well after discovering this, i cut n trimmed a custom piece and put it in there. but after a while this trick stopped working i would have to wiggle it, then it would work for a while and stop. the problem is slowly getting worse and worse. it really sucks not having a ringer AND vibrate. i miss ALOT of calls and txts.

sometimes if i put enough pressure on case itself it will work too, although there is a small crack allowing flex. i have had phone apart numerous times, most of which were to replace OTHER parts including camera module twice, headphone jack and twice on the infra red / proximity sensor after recieving a faulty one, adn then of course to check on this most recent problem.

has anyone heard of this, or is my only option to replace that whole assembly? i cant see ANYWHERE a loose connection or break and don't even really understand why this is happening or why my work around is even possible.

FEEDBACK, SUGGESTIONSN PLEASE!!
:apple:

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I have a 3g iphone that has an intermittent speaker problem. sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. this isn't related to the famous headphone problem. because:

if i slide a thin piece of hard plastic under the dock connector, the speaker will work. well after discovering this, i cut n trimmed a custom piece and put it in there. but after a while this trick stopped working i would have to wiggle it, then it would work for a while and stop. the problem is slowly getting worse and worse. it really sucks not having a ringer AND vibrate. i miss ALOT of calls and txts.

sometimes if i put enough pressure on case itself it will work too, although there is a small crack allowing flex. i have had phone apart numerous times, most of which were to replace OTHER parts including camera module twice, headphone jack and twice on the infra red / proximity sensor after recieving a faulty one, adn then of course to check on this most recent problem.

has anyone heard of this, or is my only option to replace that whole assembly? i cant see ANYWHERE a loose connection or break and don't even really understand why this is happening or why my work around is even possible.

FEEDBACK, SUGGESTIONSN PLEASE!!
:apple:

Hi there, I see this at work a lot (Apple Employee) and it probably means somehow your dock connector has corroded, or something is stuck in there, causing the iPhone to think it's plugged into an accessory, cutting out the sound. So if you're phone is under warranty it'd be best to get a replacement phone, because there really is no cure to this problem. :(

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Hi there, I see this at work a lot (Apple Employee) and it probably means somehow your dock connector has corroded, or something is stuck in there, causing the iPhone to think it's plugged into an accessory, cutting out the sound. So if you're phone is under warranty it'd be best to get a replacement phone, because there really is no cure to this problem. :(

Narimonk, do you work at the arden store?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
No thats the Apple I buy everything from. Some of the genius there are very stuck up and rude. You do a lot of iPhone 4 swaps?

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
No thats the Apple I buy everything from. Some of the genius there are very stuck up and rude. You do a lot of iPhone 4 swaps?

I used to work at the Arden Store, it's true a lot of those guys think they are above everyone else. I was really glad to get transferred to the galleria. Ya I'd say we do quite a bit, I think a lot of the swaps aren't really necessary though, I think a lot of people hear about problems with iPhone 4 (antenna withstanding) and assume theirs have the same problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.