Iphone Speakerphone Volume

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roxymusicco, Jul 11, 2008.

1. roxymusicco macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm if the speakerphone volume is improved over the first gen phone? The 1st gen had a lot of issues from what I've been reading and everyone that I talked to that had a phone complained that the volume was too low to even use that function. I want to be able to here it while driving.

2. ddk121 macrumors 6502

To me, the speaker's sound clearer, especially when playing music. I don't think volume has improved that much.

3. alegacy macrumors newbie

I did not own a 1st generation iPhone but I recently purchased an iPhone 3G. Personally, I find the speakerphone volume performance to be well below what I had expected. If I am in a completely quiet room the audio level is somewhat acceptable, but with any kind of background noise (even a simple fan) and the sound is too low to be useful.

I am not sure what is causing this but it is definitely not the speakers because when I use the iPod feature to listen to music without any headphones attached the speaker performance is much different than when used for a phone call. In fact, when used in iPod mode with the volume set to maximum I can easily hear the music over a very loud television and other background noise (attempting the same in speakerphone mode is utterly useless)

If the speakerphone worked as well I would be a happy camper. Similarly, I find that the phone handset volume is also too low to be really useful. Obviously, the sound problems are related to the internal handling of phone call audio.

Hopefully, it is correctable via a firmware update and not a hardware defect.

4. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

I noticed that too. But I wouldn't say my speakerphone/handset volume is low. It's just that when playing through iPod mode, it's louder. But to me, the speakerphone/handset sounds pretty clear and loud considering the size of those speakers.

5. Essjay macrumors regular

I can confirm that the new Speakerphone is much clearer compared to the 1st Gen phone. I think the volume is about the same maybe a little louder...

6. patdavid macrumors newbie

This is not a new thing, but unfortunately, it does appear to be a limitation of the phone.

From the 1st gen phone, both the microphone and speakerphone speaker are located on the bottom of the phone to either side of your charging/usb cable connection.

To help reduce echo on the line, they apparently have limited the volume on the speakerphone to keep the sounds reasonable.

Unfortunately, this equates to sub-sub-loud speakerphone (my old RAZr had waaaayyyy more speakerphone volume).

7. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

iPhone 3G external speaker > iPhone external speaker

By FAR. Neither are great, but it's a definite improvement. I don't think the speaker is really made to blast music through it, more for Applications and the "phone" aspects of the phone. That's why there is a headphone port! :rolleyes:

8. pj rage macrumors 6502

I was just about to post about my 3G's volume and found this thread. I'm definitely less than impressed with the speakerphone volume. It's pretty much unusable for me :(

And call volume through the phone's regular phone speaker seems to vary between VERY loud with some of my friends and VERY soft with others (with the same volume level setting).

I basically have every single volume on the phone always maxed out, and every time something is coming out of the speakers, I always wish it was louder. (Though, I have NOT used the headphone jack yet, but I would suspect that is just fine).

I never had (or heard) a regular iphone, so I can't say if this is improved or not, I can just say it's probably the softest speaker phone I've ever heard.

I guess it's a small complaint overall, because I'm very very happy with the phone overall, it's just annoying to hear my gf's blackberry ring and/or speakerphone and/or do anything with external speakers and blow mine out of the water.