iPhone spelling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wakerider017, Sep 18, 2008.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Is there anyway to "update" the iPhone dictionary?

I write text messages in short hand, use slang and swear sometimes all of which the iPhone does not understand.

Ex. If i want to say "yo" it will correct me and change it to "to".

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Dont think there is, the only way is to tap the little 'x' when it tries to suggest a word, If there was an option I would turn this feature off, I have lost track of the number of msgs sent that are complete garbage

Apparently it does learn , but i dont see any sign of this

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You don't have to actually tap the 'x' itself: tapping the word will do

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

true, but when typing a text i dont look at the screen part, i look at the keys and i can see the letters i am typing ( as now i am looking at the keyboard as i type), so i know what i type is what i want to send
    After I do this on the phone, the txt makes no sense as it has changed it to what it thinks i am typing, sometimes i hit send too quickly and send nonsense, or i have to retype and check each word as i type making sure to press the 'x' box

for me it would be better to leave the word as i typed it, pressing the pop up if i wanted to use the suggestion

very frustrating

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

the iPhone is supposed to learn? Must be a slow learner...

6. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Takes three taps of xing the word it recommends for it to remember.

7. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

just tried that with the word "Yo"

4th text message was still corrected

8. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I think if you dismiss the suggestions a few times it's supposed to learn not to correct for that word.

In the mean time, while it is learning, you can just go back and change what you need without having to retype each message.

9. 226896 Guest

'Yo' will never be able to be typed without 'to' popping up as a suggestion, because 'to' is such a common word. It learns most other words though. I have a pretty good experience with typing on the iPhone.

10. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

11. App1€ macrumors regular

Its not that bad. I find it funny actually. Between me and my friends its become an inside joke if you will. I pretty much start all convos with "to" now iPhone or not. Just something I got used to. Does piss me off sometimes with other words though.

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

You can manually add words to the dictionary quite easily.

Add a word as a nickname in your Address Book (or as a new entry altogether) and it will be added to the dictionary immediately (with proper capitalization) ...

13. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

My phone learns.... i know today it learned "hai" instead of "hi"... apparently i type it alot, lol.

14. flatrockdam macrumors newbie

teaching my phone bad language

Right! I worry that every time I make a typo I am teaching my phone bad habits! I would love to see a way (in the future) to edit the user dictionary that I imagine is being created in the background — both to feed it new entries and to delete errors from time to time.

15. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

keep tapping the "x" to get rid of the suggested word!! do this enough and it will learn your words i promise!

words that i use a lot and the iphone has learned:

"ur" instead of "your"
    "wut" instead of "what"
    "lol" instead of "LOL"
    "em" instead of "them"

and many more i cant think of now, but it does work it jus takes time... if u let it slide and dont hit the "x" then it will assume u use that word and keep doing it, so just keep consistantly tappin that X!!!