iPhone stock past launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stackshady, Jun 18, 2010.

1. stackshady macrumors member

I'm not one that has to get the iPhone the first day. I'd actually prefer going the day after to avoid the chaos.

Based on previous releases, do I have a chance that they will still have iPhones in stock on Friday? What about the following week?

Tempted to spend the $750 on eBay if it might be out of stock for weeks.

2. mossme89 macrumors 6502

That's what i did (paid $750 exactly). But i can tell you right now, even with apple making more than the 3gs before launch, these things are selling like hotcakes and the latest pre-orders are being pushed back to July 14 for shipping.

If you have the extra cash, and want to have it early, go the ebay route (and you don't get locked into a 2 year contract). Plus, atleast in the US, there is a good chance the S might hit the fan this summer, so make sure to get your iphone before it does ;)

3. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Someone made the point that there are a lot if Apple Store reservations made that people wont claim for various reasons, including a lot of "backup" reservations I've seen people talking about on these boards. I believe I've read that these are only held the one day and will be available for general sale the next morning - so your chances might not be bad Friday morning.

4. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

i wonder if apple will have that feature on their website again that tells you when all the apple stores have the phones in stock and if the supply is an ample quantity or a few

5. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

ATT rep told me there will be NO inventory until mid-July for his store at least. So he said you either get it on launch day or you wait till mid-late July for one. Apple stores not sure. Wally World store mgr told me they will not even get that many on the 23rd for the 24th release so he also said no. He doesn't even know if they will get any until August. BB told me the same thing. None until mid-July.

Guess your best bet is going to the Apple Store which is going to be mobbed and insane.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Prospects are dim.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just a hunch based on personal experience here...

When I was trying to preorder a phone on Tues via the iPhone app it kept suggesting I "reserve" one. For a second I was tempted and went though the motions and then decide I def. did not want to go near an Apple Store on launch day. However, I must have gone too far in the process and Apple reserved one for me... one that I will not be picking up b/c I was able to get one for delivery.

Somehow I don't think my case was unique. Apple will be holding these "reserve" units until COB on the 24th. They can start selling them to the public on the 25th. I'm guessing there will be a number of these unclaimed iPhones on the 25th.

If you are at the store bright and early... like maybe an hour before opening you could have a shot. Otherwise don't waste your time. Apple will sell out of launch day units on the 24th. They amount of hyper hype going around this time insures.