iPhone Stolen (Canada)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brewno, Aug 23, 2008.

1. brewno macrumors 6502

So my iPhone was stolen yesterday (along with my Nikon D50 + lenses). I went to the police file a report, obviously there's nothing they can do. I called FIDO to block my services and also my IMEI but they cannot block it. (WTF? that was common practice in France). Now they said I have to pay full price for my phone to use it again, unless I extend my 3 year plan to a 6 year-anal-rape plan. Can you believe it???
    I feel so violated it's unbelievable. I said that I'd rather pay the 500$ to quit the service than pay it to have an iPhone and keep the plan (I pay 110$ with taxes and all that **** they include).
    Thieves everywhere.

2. Doju macrumors 68000

1. Try to steal it back, probably not possible though.

2. Keep pestering the police. When my only Nokia cell was stolen they were able to trace the number to the household. (Like how they know where you are if you call 911 from a cell.) They can find it.

3. If they still act lazy, keep pestering Fido. That's ridiculous.

3. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I can understand your dilemma. How much did you pay for the phone? This is a long shot, but did you try calling Apple and try to see if they had any sympathy for you? Keep calling Fido and Apple, and ask to speak to someone higher up. At this point, what would be fair would be for Fido to allow you to repurchase the phone at the same price you originally paid without the contract extension. I would also insist that they block the previous IMEI number. You contact the CRTC and see if there is anything they can do or suggest to help your cause.

I have had stuff stolen (2 iPods) from my car too, so I can relate to you. But if you can't get what you want -- I would look at this as a very expensive learning experience.

How did they steal your stuff?

4. James L macrumors 6502a

Make a claim against your house insurance, buy new stuff, move on!

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Set up the person who stole it.

Call them up and act like you have to drop off a package of money for "YOU" but that you have never actually met you. This is important. You need to act a little freaked out about giving such a large sum of money to someone you have never met, and how will you know for sure it is you.

The greedy thief will think he can pretend to be you and get the package himself.

When you show up sap him over the head and take your phone back.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You'll make an already stressful situation worse by arguing too much with your phone company and/or Apple. It's worth a shot to try and call Apple to see if they have mercy--but the fact that your phone was stolen was no one's fault.

Just buy a replacement for $500 and avoid the 6 year contract. Everyone suffers financial losses like this from time to time. Look into getting insurance if you don't have any now. If you do--try to make a claim.

7. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

keep calling Fido's retention department (not regular CSRs) until they let you replace it for the same price you originally paid.

8. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to call Apple. I need to know if they will block the serial number or the IMEI, since it's their product. I'll come back with the answer.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i m pretty sure it is illegal in canada to make you sign a 6 year contract, i think teh max they can do it for its 3, taht is teh reason rogers only makes you sign for three... i have no proof of this, but worth looking into it man....

10. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

dayum 6 years...i would just get another phone:(

11. Haruk macrumors member

same thing happened to my sister a group of people mugged a whole subway train in NYC and took her iphone and they couldnt do ****

12. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

About the 6 years Im pretty sure the govmnt won't do anything about it, if both parties are dumb enough to sign it, there's nothing they can do and as for buying a full price iPhone and keep on paying for the stolen iPhone? No thanks.

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah,, the dumb people are out there, for sure there are dumb enough people to sign a 6 year contract and pay full price for a phone,, but i dont think its legal for a canadian carrier to do that, or else we know that rogers would be doing that dont you think? if rogers was able to tehy d make you sign a 25 year contract for your phone...

14. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

man, sorry to hear.

To pay homage to a Seinfeld episode, have you tried calling your phone.

I used to be with fido when I was in canada. They are powerless to help you, their only strength is to screw you.

I would try calling and perhaps even going down to the fido store to get the word out. There's nothing to lose but everthing to gain.

15. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

I called Apple and it's now declared as stolen. Updates from the Fido Store later on...