Iphone stolen from Pick pocket

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dify, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Dify macrumors member

Hello every one,

Someone stole my iphone in the metro this week end (yea my week end pretty much sucked after that).
    I´m sure of it, because I was checking an address before I got on the metro.
    Got in, put it in my pocket just before, (I have no signal in the metro) and when I got out, no more iphone.
    I locked my sim Card, and my Iphone has a pass code (O my god I am so so sooooo happy that I choose to keep the lock settings on).
    So after I made sure the guy (or girl by the way) had no way of getting my personal data which is on the phone (without some serious hacking skill...)
    I was wondering, is there a way to track my phone, or better, to lock it down permanently remotely.
    I have not installed some apps that allow you to track your phone down, like the one on the apple.com
    (Which is pretty stupid given I can´t use it on my mac, if it only runs on iphone/ipad I wouldn´t be searching for it!)
    Anyway, has anyone an Idea, I´ve searched on the apple.com site but no luck until here.
    Is it even possible, or must I bear the idea that some fu**** is using my phone right now with his own sim card?
    Thanks for the help.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

It's true, they can do a restore an insert their own Simcard.

3. Dify thread starter macrumors member

Yea I know that´s why I ask. Because the phone number won´t change, serial or stuff like that. Is it possible to block it using those?

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

If you haven't already, you need to call your carrier ASAP and tell them about this. Having your SIM locked and a lock on the iPhone are good, but as was mentioned, they'll probably put in their own SIM and not waste time trying to unlock yours.

What pocket was your phone in?

AFAIK, the 'track your iPhone feature is tied to MobileMe.

You had the Erase Phone after 10 failed attempts turned on, right?

If you report the phone stolen, the carrier may be able to block the IMEI from the network.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

passcodes not much help....you can guess a 4 digit numeric password real easy, there is only 9999 possibilitys, if they want your data...they will get it.

6. Dify thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I did block my sim 1 hour after I got sollen. Sadly I did not activate the erase phone option. It was on the front pocket of my short.
    The thing is that I grought my phone in swizerland, and I´m curently living in Germany, so even if I tel my swiss carrier to block it, I think the guy will still be able to use it in germany.
    I´m going to an O2 shop after work to see if they can block it from the network but I doubt it.

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

That's why you turn on the 'Erase After !0 Wrong Passcodes' option along with the Passcode.

8. Dify thread starter macrumors member

Yea, well I´m not really afraid that they find my pass code, but more that they use some program to hack into the phone itself and extract the data or something.

9. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

There are 10000 possibilities, you forgot "0000".

10. xmtgx macrumors regular

Did the OP say he kept it to Simple Lock Settings?

11. Dify thread starter macrumors member

Well, it is locked with a pass code required to unlock it...

12. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I thought the only way to bypass the passcode was to restore it to the (a) computer that it has been sync'd with. When I connected my iPhone to my MBP when I got the MBP, it wouldn't let me do anything until I entered the passcode.

13. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I wasn't replying to the OP was I?

14. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

If the phone is a 2G, 3G or 3GS (under certain circumstances), the passcode can be bypassed with a bit of know how. :)

OP: Is this an iPhone4 or one of the older models? If it's older, then yes, there are ways to forensically recover your data and view deleted or existing photos, SMS messages, emails, etc.

15. Dify thread starter macrumors member

It is a 3GS... ****, I hope that whoever have my phone now does not possess that "know how". In fact, I hope he gets struck by lightning....

16. Dansco macrumors newbie

If you've blocked your SIM card and IMEI via your ISP, they can't use it. I don't think pickpocketers are great hackers tbh. Hope you were insured...

17. Dify thread starter macrumors member

"and IMEI via your ISP" What do you mean by this ?

18. isooz macrumors member

I had my 2g iphone stolen last week. Gutted (especially as I cant get hold of an ip4 as an upgrade). I reported it to ISP and police, quoting IMEI number and was told nobody would be able to unlock the phone except me. It had a passcode on it too.

I was hoping that this is true.

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

That's a feature of MobileMe called find my iPhone. It uses the GPS to track down your iPhone, and if you want, you can post a message which lock it down and/or destroy the data.

[http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html