iPhone Stolen - iCloud has new Email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ugadawgs311, Jun 18, 2014.

1. ugadawgs311 macrumors member

My iPhone was stolen recently. I went into AT&T to get a new phone, and while there, I attempted to restore from an iCloud backup (from the morning before it got stolen). To sign in to iCloud, I had to enter my iCloud email address (the same one I use for iTunes) and password. I did that, and the restore began. However, to finish the restore, the phone then asked me to enter my iTunes password for another email address (some Australian address). So, even though I logged into my iCloud account and found my backup, somehow my email address for iTunes had changed (presumably because of whoever stole the phone).

Would it be safe to restore from the iCloud backup, or should I just delete that backup and restore from a much older computer backup?

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

3. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I didn't have the "Find My iPhone" feature set up before it was stolen.

4. 617aircav Suspended

don't be hard on yourself. even if you had it enabled you probably wouldn't have

5. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. If these guys are going to steal a phone, I bet the first thing they do is disable "Find my iPhone" then turn on airplane mode and possibly remove the sim card.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like some media or apps you had in your backup (and basically on your old phone) came from another user. Perhaps some music you copied over from someone/somewhere, or something like that.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Or the person that has the phone now didn't erase it out of a misunderstanding of how the lock gets turned on and bought something on his/her ID.

----------

If find my iPhone is on you have to know the password to turn it off.

8. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

9. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know if it's safe to restore from my old iCloud backups (which appear to have been used with another iTunes ID)?

Could I perform the restore, then log out of the wrong iTunes account, and then log in with my iTunes account?

10. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

You can't disable Find my iPhone without entering your apple account password on iOS 7