iPhone stolen in mugging. What to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gorillapimping, Nov 25, 2012.

1. gorillapimping macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    My sister just got mugged in new york. She was hit in the back of the head and the robbers stole everything she had (purse, wallet with cash, 1 week old ip5). The police were called but couldnt find the robbers. Find my iphone didnt help because they already turned it off/ and or restored it. What else is there to do? She didnt get applecare or att insurance.

I was thinking that since she has only had it for 1 week maybe she could still call in to att and get the insurance and then have them cover it? is that possible? However that seems sorta sketch. If she doesnt have any covering she will be forced to pay the full 600+ cost of an iphone without an upgrade. Any advice guys?

Thanks

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

as unfortunate as it seems, she is probably out of luck. you wouldnt attempt to insure a car, after it was stolen would you? thats fraud.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, $650 plus tax.
    Very unfortunate event for her to experience.
    Hope she's ok.

4. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Did she pay for it with a credit card? Some credit card companies cover stolen items.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is her only hope.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

on that note, i had skis that were stolen years ago that my uncle bought on his amex. they indeed were covered fully with a police report/notarized letter. one of the reasons i purchased my iphone 5 with my amex.

7. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Ditto on the AMEX. I have used their insurance coverage a couple times now, once for a broken screen on my Macbook Air, and secondly for an iPhone 5 my son threw in the toilet. They covered at 100%, they do provide for stolen/lost coverage too. I buy everything on AMEX, piece of mind.

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I seem to recall something about AT&T finally getting some kind of IMEI block list going, so at least report it for that.

9. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Definitely get it blocked... but the muggers will have sold it on (at least once) by now.

10. CanesDrew macrumors regular

CanesDrew

Yep. She might be luck. If she's a renter and has renter's insurance. Then it will cover it. Hopefully she gets it fixed.