iPhone stolen! Now what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pscoble, Feb 21, 2009.

1. pscoble macrumors 6502

A while ago my iPhone was stolen, which really really sucks. :( (and still sucks as I do not have a phone) So I have been gathering money so I could try and purchase a new one. However, I have heard that if your phone was stolen to get back on AT&T they will charge you the full price which comes out to like more than $500. I feel like that person really doesn't know what they are talking about because that really seems like bad business (It is AT&T though :rolleyes:). Has anyone had this experience before and how did it work? What could I do to avoid that charge and just pay the price of the phone and standard activation fees? Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why wouldnt they charge retail price? was it their fault it got stolen?

if att just gave phones away or cheap, then anyone could claim their phone was stolen....

the price you initially paid was the subsidized price, not the retail....

3. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

No it wasn't their fault. I never said that. It doesn't seem like "giving" them away since one would have to pay the phone price, the activation fee, and the first month before they could do anything like unlocking them. With that said, why would anyone claim their phone was stolen if it wasn't? I can't see the logic in that one.

How does it work is the question I'm asking. I already canceled the old account, what should I do/will have to do now if I want another iPhone? That might be a bit more straightforward.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Oh, you already cancelled your old line.

Then just open a new AT&T account, and buy an iPhone. Just as you did when you bought the iPhone.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

That's pretty simple. If they broke their phone or if they just want to sell it, then they can go to ATT and say "oh yeah, my phone was stolen" and get the cheaper price. Much like the Costco warranty it would be a rule just waiting to be abused.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Have you checked your Contents insurance policy??

You never know. ;)

7. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, cool glad to know I could do that. I don't mind having a new number but I would like to get an iPhone. Thanks for the replies.

As far as the insurance goes I don't think it is covered. Not positive on that one though.

8. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

Check your homeowners insurance policy as sometimes it only covers items stolen from your home.

9. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

It's probably worth paying the extra for mobile phone insurance. Phones aren't usually covered by your contents insurance (they might be though) as they are more likely to be stolen than the other items in your house.

10. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

if you pay retail price.. try and get the price of your contract lowered to compensate for paying retail.

nvm.. you dont have a contract