iPhone stolen while awaiting sale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dgr874, Apr 21, 2014.

1. dgr874 macrumors member

I reset my iPhone 5 last night in anticipation of selling it later this week. While I was out to work today someone broke into my place and sole the phone along with some other electronics.

Is there anyway I can find the phone? I don't think there is because it was completely reset awaiting the new owner.

Any help on finding it or just locking it out would be helpful. Thanks.

2. tomtanojevic macrumors member

you may be able to find it if it has find my iphone turned on it.

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

If you reset the phone it turns off find my iphone. Sorry to say but you're screwed.

Best thing you can do now is call your cell provider and blacklist the IMEI.

4. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Would your insurance cover it since it was stolen while your home was broken into?

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Depends on how thoroughly you reset it. Did you to into iCloud on a computer and remove it from your devices? If not then it would still be tied to your Apple ID for Find My iPhone. Either way I'd blacklist the IMEI with your carrier until you can get it back if you can.

6. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Did you read the OP? He completely reset the iPhone which needs find my iPhone turned off.

7. dgr874 thread starter macrumors member

How can I do this? I am using a windows computer...

8. mobutt macrumors 6502

Wouldn't renters or home owners insurance cover that stuff though? Annoying but they may cover more than you were going to get for the sale anyways.

9. Deguello macrumors 6502

Depends on what the other electronics were and what his deductible is.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Just go to iCloud.com on a computer running Windows 7 or higher. Log in and there should be an option to view your device(s) on a map. If your phone comes up then you can track where it is and lock the thief out of it (if I'm guessing right they're locked out anyway). Thankfully iOS 7 has some extra security built into it. If your phone is not there, then it's either turned off or you were able to remove it from your devices. Since you need to login to the iCloud site to do that, I'm guessing it's still there. If you can get a location, you may be able to guide police into getting it back. Otherwise you can make it bricked and useless for the thief. What you don't want to do though is lose the tracking on it. I need to double check on my own computer.

You can also use the Find My iPhone app on any iPhone or iPad. You just log on with your Apple ID.

11. dgr874 thread starter macrumors member

I only ended up being able to backlist the IMEI with ATT. I doubt ill ever get it back. I guess the bright side is that I get to buy a new one this fall.