Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4harpers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
So I have an iPhone 5.
I was able to connect my iPhone and it would be detected and be able to sync it to iTunes no problem, and then all of a sudden I can't anymore. My computer, imacpro, used to detect my phone just fine. Now it won't detect it at all. I tried on moms Windows laptop with XP no go. Her iPhone 5 will show up on both computers. The iPhone does charge when I plug it in though, but to the computer it doesn't exist as if nothing was plugged in. Sometimes I get message I'm using improper cable I switched cables nothing. I bought the original phone in Nov. 2012. Apple replaced it in Oct. 2013 under warranty. So even if the replacement phone is under a year old Apple wont replace it. They said its the original purchase date and not the replacement date that counts. Can anyone help? I cannot afford new phone. While I can still use and recharge phone no backups or connection to itunes. :confused:

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
So I have an iPhone 5.
I was able to connect my iPhone and it would be detected and be able to sync it to iTunes no problem, and then all of a sudden I can't anymore. My computer, imacpro, used to detect my phone just fine. Now it won't detect it at all. I tried on moms Windows laptop with XP no go. Her iPhone 5 will show up on both computers. The iPhone does charge when I plug it in though, but to the computer it doesn't exist as if nothing was plugged in. Sometimes I get message I'm using improper cable I switched cables nothing. I bought the original phone in Nov. 2012. Apple replaced it in Oct. 2013 under warranty. So even if the replacement phone is under a year old Apple wont replace it. They said its the original purchase date and not the replacement date that counts. Can anyone help? I cannot afford new phone. While I can still use and recharge phone no backups or connection to itunes. :confused:

Hmm.. that's odd especially since it can charge so maybe the connection port isn't damaged. Did you use the same cable to connect your mom's iPhone?

Sometimes, my iPhone won't show up on iTunes as well but it does in Xcode. Opening that app usually fixes it. Maybe you can try that? It's a free download in the Mac App Store. If that doesn't work, your only option is probably to do a complete wipe from the phone itself. You can backup to the iCloud to save your settings/photos/texts/etc just as long as it's under 5GB; unless you want to pay to buy more storage. There is a return policy on paid iCloud storage space and it can be refunded, I believe, within 30 days of purchase.

As far as AppleCare, it's true that it applies to the original purchase price of the product. However, they usually guarantee the repair/replacement for 90 days. But, seeing as how you got in Oct, that window has now elapsed.

4harpers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have switched cables, cleanded the port, nothing. My only option now it to back up to icloud. Im not sure how that works. Not very tech savvy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have switched cables, cleanded the port, nothing. My only option now it to back up to icloud. Im not sure how that works. Not very tech savvy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

I'd suggest taking your phone in to Apple and asking them if they can determine why it isn't connecting. It's possible that this is a symptom of a larger problem.

4harpers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I just took the phone to Apple. They said cant be fixed, have to purchase new one. I dont think they fix any hardware issues. If its under warranty they replace it if not they tell you to buy new one. As a young unemployed woman, cannot afford new phone. I am taking it to 3rd party store that repairs iphones.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I just took the phone to Apple. They said cant be fixed, have to purchase new one.

Did they say what was wrong with it? Did they give you a price on the replacement? I'm pretty sure the out of warranty replacement cost on an iPhone is $269, which isn't really a bad deal considering they give you a replacement phone.

4harpers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Took the phone to cell phone repair shop. The changed the charging port assembly. $60.00 with new cable and everything works great. When the Apple guys tell you its non repairable, they just mean they wont repair it. So, all is good, thank you to everyone for your kink input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.