iPhone storage space taken up by 'Other'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superhighsen, Dec 30, 2010.

1. superhighsen macrumors newbie

Not sure if a certain tweak or what not from cydia is causing this but for some reason I have over 7 gigs of data being used in "other" and am pretty sure I had about 4 gigs of space left a few days ago and now have 700mb. I haven't installed anything big at all since then so I don't know what to look for as that seems to be way to big for just tweaks and some cydia apps....

2. saving107, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

for the past several weeks both my iPhone 4 and iPad have been having this issue, little by little, 'Other' keeps taking up more and more space on my devices. Since I got my iPad in April and iPhone in August, I have been upgrading to the newest software, and if i had to do a restore, I have been restoring from a back-up because I didn't want to loose my App Data.

So last night I was syncing my iPhone 4, and 'Other' jumped from .50mb to .75mb, then down to .45mb then finally to over 1 gb, all in 1 sync, and all I did was add 1 new album and a few apps. So I did some research and found a few sites that claimed that the OS maybe corrupt, and that the only way to fix it is to do a full restore and set up our phone as new (not from a backup).

So I did this last night and what was once before .50 mb now is .25, with the same apps/music/photos as before.

I have yet to restore my iPad, but 'Other' is almost 2gbs, so I think I will be restoring it later as well.

*My iPhone and iPad have never been Jailbroken.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

For jailbroken devices this is often due to a certain jailbroken application's IPA files....

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

About a year ago I began to distrust Cydia and most of its Tweeks.

5. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Do you have any emulators and roms on your iPhone? Those are big space stealers depending on the system.

6. superhighsen thread starter macrumors newbie

No i'm not running any emulators at all. I read somewhere that when installing ipa's there sometimes is a ghost copy of it somewhere and that could be causing the big amount of space being taken up. I just don't know were to look. I definitely deleted all "downloads" from installous but maybe there is another location its being stored. If not that then something else is up.

Hoping to figure out away to fix it without restoring but if I can't figure it out then I guess I have to :/

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

It's album artwork and bookmarks you've saved to your homescreen...jb may cause an increase