Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
The iPhone 3GS got stuck while playing music, pressing the home button wasn't closing the ipod app and neither pressing on the power button brought the slide to shutdown. So I pressed both power and home button for a few seconds and I guess that put in the DFU mode and now when I start the iphone its stuck at the apple logo, now how do I restart it without losing all contents on the iphone.

Its 3GS running 5.0.1 and never been jailbroken.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
When you hit the power & home button, did you hold it until the phone shut down on it's own and not release it until the apple logo reappeared?

I pressed power and home buttons until it was shutdown, but when it runs off, the screen kind of like flickers with no apple logo or message saying shutting down, it just turns off, and then when I press the power button its stuck at the apple logo.
:confused:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I pressed power and home buttons until it was shutdown, but when it runs off, the screen kind of like flickers with no apple logo or message saying shutting down, it just turns off, and then when I press the power button its stuck at the apple logo.
:confused:

Hold both buttons down until the phone completely shuts and cycles back on. Don't release the buttons until you see the apple logo come back on. You might be holding the buttons down for 30 seconds or so. Just don't release them until the phone shuts off (keep holding) and then powers back on and you see the apple logo. Only then, release the buttons. If you release the buttons when it powers off and then you try to turn it on via the power button, you are not performing a reset.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ok, so this is whats happening: I press both the buttons and keep pressing, in about 2 seconds apple logo appears and in another 2 seconds the screen dims ( I can still see the Apple logo but the screen looks unusual, its dim with square grids on the upper half and a vertical strip in the center) after 4 seconds the screen flickers and is the display is turned off, after 2 seconds the apple logo appears again and if I keep pressing the iphone turns off and doesn't start again. So I have to release the buttons and start this process again....just going in the loop....:confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, the phone is back on now. When the apple logo appears for the second time then I release the buttons and logo stays on for about a minute and you get "slide to unlock". phew....
Thanks for you help, is this common that the iphone gets frozen on ipod (or any oter app) and you cannot power it down and if so what do you do then, just the same thing as what I did or is there a better solution? It never happened to me before. and by holding both the power and home buttons did I put it in DFU mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.