Iphone stuck in headphone mode - swapped cables, still the same problem!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by owain182, Sep 9, 2009.

1. owain182 macrumors newbie

The silent switch on my iPhone had stopped working so I bought a new housing from ebay and decided to swap the back around at the same time.
    I noticed the little switch on the silent button had broken on the old one, so bought a new jack cable.
    Put it all back together and the silent switch and everything is working fine apart from the phone thinking it's in headphone mode when it isn't

I've tried all of the fixes and nothing works. I was hoping it was a faulty cable, so asked the guy to send a new one. That arrives this morning and it is exactly the same 'Headphone Mode'
    I've just plugged the old cable in and it's saying the same thing, even though it didn't before.

Does anyone have ANY idea what else I could try? It doesn't seem like it's a problem with the actual cable so I'm hoping it's nothing too drastic.

note: I've just read elsewhere about a few other people having the same problem since upgrading to 3.0.1. This seems to be the case in mine too, as I upgraded and backup up before swapping the new case etc.
    As the original flex doesn't work it would make sense that it may be something to do with the upgrade.
    Is there a way of downgrading the firmware?

Please help!

Cheers

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't have a constant issue like you, but my phone is many times in headphone mode when I don't want it to be. Also, I can not be in headphone mode, but then when I go into YouTube it will switch to headphone mode. It didn't start doing that until 3.0.1. I wouldn't bother trying to downgrade, since 3.1 is imminent.

3. cx300 macrumors member

cut most of the fuzz off a q-tip and gently put it down the jack a few times, has worked 3 or 4 times for me

4. owain182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I've tried the above suggestions and nothing seems to be helping!
    I guess I was hoping that it would be a 3.0.1 issue but maybe not

The strange thing is that it happens with my original flex, the replacement one and now a brand new replacement ( arrived this morning ) it all says the same thing and nothing seems to remedy it.

I can't see how it can be a problem with the cable now, although someone mentioned there were 2 types of gen1 cabes - but the original and replacements are both the same code

I don't know what else to try!

5. owain182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any other ideas? I've just installed 3.1 on the phone and no difference. Really don't know what else to try.

Somebody else mentioned the two different types of jack cable for the 2g iPhone one that was the reverse, but why would my original cable still think the headphones are in when they're not

Any help would be much appreciated!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Clean the headphone jack, I guess. Or restore as new, but make sure you've synced everything to make it as painless as possible. If you are still under warranty and nothing fixes it, take it to the store and get a replacement.

7. owain182 thread starter macrumors newbie

It can't be a problem with the jack as far as I can tell as it has happened with the replacement one, a brand new one and also now my original one ( was working fine before?? )

One other thing I read is that there were two types of flex available. the '821-0449' and a later '821-0600' now both the ones I bought and my original have been the first type but I have read in one thread that somebody had this problem after buying the wrong cable and when he tried the different one his problem was solved.
    Does anyone know if this may work? It does say that the wrong type won't work in your phone but surely this guy wasn't making it up

No idea what else to do

8. owain182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other ideas? I've tried replacing the cable so it's nothing to do with dust etc in the jack.
    I've updated to 3.1 and that hasn't helped.

ANything else I can try? I've tried all combinations of plug in/out music on off etc

Thanks

9. santosricke macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I think you should try to downgrade to 2.2.

10. fais macrumors newbie

I have a same problem of the headphone mode being stuck

hi owain182 and all
    I just want to know how did you solve this problem?

i just solved it through switching on and off the silent rigner button

11. stefanhome macrumors newbie

Hello to all with this nerving headphone mode
    I had this problem for nearly 1 year (iPhone is out of warranty...)
    All hints from the net failed...
    Plug & unplug the connector several times
    reset iPhone
    uninstall and reinstall applications
    blow out the connector
    replace the headphone jack (that was a hard work!)

... ALL of these things failed

It's a temperature (hardware) problem. When the iPhone gets warm it switch to "headphone mode".
    If you put it into the refrigerator for 2 minutes it works ok. Or if you blow it out it will work (cause it's cooling down) .... but just a few minutes...

Finally - I get in contact to the company where I bought the Flex cable and asked if they know about that problem. They answered that they wanna try to take a look at my iPhone... AND after 1 week I got it back...

IT'S FIXED!!!!

Get in contact with:
    Mobile Parts Discount
    shop@mobile-parts-discount.net
    http://mobile-parts-discount.net

I suggest these guys to everybody with this problem
    I will post this message also into other forum or discussions, cause I was searching for half a year about a solution in the net. There are 40,000 post referring this problem.

Best regards
    Stefan

Please ignore my bad English

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I just had this problem YESTERDAY. What are the odds? Thanks for the info. My phone just seemed to fix itself while I was waiting on line at the apple store....

13. stefanhome macrumors newbie

Hi,

yes it seems to fix itself cause it's cooling down.
    But if you use it again and it becomes warm it will be quiet again.
    If not... you can try the solution with the q-tip or all the other solutions offered in the forums.

What do you mean with "odd"?
    My english is not the best

Stefan