iPhone stuck in headphone mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fjs08, Mar 31, 2012.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

My son has a 2 month old iPhone... software is up to date.
    Seems to be stuck in headphone mode. Can't hear any sounds through the phone. Only via headphones. It's NOT on mute. Reset the phone... Anything else to try to reset this?
    Thx.
    Frank

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You may have to try and do a restore of it from backup.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Happened to me. I drove to the apple store and before I got help, I tried again (put in headphones, took em out) and problem cleared up and didn't happen again. Give it a day before you do anything major like a restore (is that major, don't really know) or a long trip to a store; every now and then plug in the hp and take em out. Maybe you'll get lucky like me.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is that done from iTunes??
    Will it erase everything from his iPhone.
    Thx.
    Frank

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes you do that from iTunes. Just make sure you have it backed up prior to the restore.

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Update. Son backed up everything to the Cloud.
    Went to the Apple store. Received a new phone..... he wasn't the only one there for that issue btw... anyway, Apple Store verified that everything was on the cloud and they proceeded to transfer his "stuff" to the new phone. Looked like everything was transferred.
    Now his phone says his phone isn't activated and he can't listen to any music. He can see the music that downloaded, but it is grayed out.
    Also he can't call. when he tries he gets a message that the call will be transferred to an external operator.
    what do we do from here /
    Thx
    Frank

7. breezyf808 macrumors regular

I had the same problem with the activation. Did you try calling your cell provider to activate your phone? try dailing *228 (i think) and it will activate if not call your cell phone company. It might be a precaution for stolen iphones.

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Called Apple Store. They didn't understand why phone wasn't activated at the store. Had to call Verizon.
    Apple Store helped get music downloaded too. Guess that should have been done at the store also.
    All in all considering phone had to be replaced in less than 4 months, no activation and no music downloaded it was a pretty negative experience.
    I'm disappointed. I've always had Apple products. Finally convinced my son to go Apple and now this. Yikes.
    Frank