iphone stuck in infinite recovery loop

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wolfgang666, Jul 3, 2011.

1. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

here's the deal...
    1. iphone 3gs (new bootroom) was mistakenly upgraded to stock 4.2.1 firmware with 5.15.04 bb

2. used redsnow to upgrade to ipad bb so i could unlock.

[should have been happy here and unlocked]

3. what i did was upgrade to the custom firmware of 4.3.3 using latest pwnage tool.

4. itunes dint let me upgrade so i had to turn on TSS server for the upgrade to happen.

5. the process went fine and the phone restarted too but gave an error in the end and i could never see the silver apple logo.

6. now itunes recognizes the phone in recovery. i cant kick it out of recovery using tiny umbrella as well.

so i would require help from all the big brains out there to help me find a solution to this prob.

i hope i have not bricked the phone.

2. Pavan6997, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Pavan6997 macrumors newbie

Ok what your gunna have to do is tell me what error you got cuz i got one to and "I HAD TO RESTORE TO normal firmware then redo untill it was done looping " So the problem your having is that you have no firmware right now so you cant do anything cuz itunes extracted the firmware and then it got an error so no firmware was installed and thats why tinyumbrella cant do anything DONT RESTORE TO Official software yet BECAUSE YOU MAY LOSE YOUR UNLOCK !!!!!

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Um...

A newbie with two posts, neither well written, both including his email, who gives you incorrect information from the start (you can't restore to stock from the iPad baseband, so your unlock isn't threatened here) probably isn't the best person to take advice from.

Please stick around and wait for some of our more experienced members to help. We have a number of people familiar with the 3GS and the iPad baseband trick who will gladly walk you through what you need to know without the need for you to supply personally identifiable information like your email to them.

And try not to fret, you haven't bricked the phone, because it's damn near impossible to do. Start searching the forum for recovery loops and how to get out of them. Hopefully awadeee or one of the others that knows this stuff inside and out will be along shortly.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Put your phone in pwned DFU mode with pwnagetool or redsn0w and then click restore while holding the option key on your Mac to open up a window that will allow you to manually select the IPSW you want to restore to. Select the 4.3.3 IPSW and iTunes will restore. :)

Why would you ask someone in a forum that is partly dedicated to helping people and discussing problems to contact you outside of the forum? Not only would that be detrimental to the forum if people started doing that, but I'm almost positive it's against forum policy. Please leave these types of questions to more experienced members such as myself and others who have knowledge and can give accurate advice. Be a smart noob; read around on the forums for several weeks or a month or so and gather information before trying to offer advice.

5. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

i am not able to put it in DFU mode as there is nothing on the screen.. It is completely blank..
    i dnt know if this is recovery mode or DFU mode..iTunes recognizes the phone though...
    everytime i try to restore using the 'option' key to a custom firmware itunes doesnt let me do it even if TSS server is running.

i dnt knw if this helps, but before i tried to update to custom 4.3.3 firmware, previously it was jailbroken with 'greenpois0n' on 4.2.1..
    so everytime i try to 'fix recovery' on tinyumbrella, the phone runs a code which says "greenpois0n initiated" and gets stuck at this point..

6. jdaniel macrumors 65816

generally speaking not looking into WHY u see nothing on your screen...you dont need to see anything on the screen to put your phone in dfu mode.. for example u can download something like pwnage tool and choose ur phone type click DFU it will basically function as a DFU timer and u can leave itunes on when u do this if it is in DFU mode pwnage tool will tell u it is and itunes will pop up telling u it is too...

7. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

alright... will try it out and let you know if this works...

8. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

i was able to put the phone into DFU successfully as you said... when i try to update the phone using itunes it says "phone not eligible for selected build"...
    when i try to update with TSS server running i get "1600" error...

so i am unable to kick the phone out of recovery...

9. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

thx a lot your help guys... vixen, daniel & awardee...

i was finally able to fix the prob.. after putting the phone into DFU following what daniel said, all i had to do was uncheck the "set hosts to cydia" in tinyumbrella and then i was able to do a complete restore using my custom firmware and 'voila'...the phone was alive again!!!!

i cnt say how thankful i am for all the help you have provided without being condescending...
    thx again!!!