Iphone stuck in loop even after Restore (Jailbroken)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Makanmata, May 7, 2010.

1. Makanmata macrumors member

Yesterday I locked it during a meeting, and it froze shortly after I unlocked it a few hours later. None of the buttons would respond, so I decided to try the hard reset of holding the power and start buttons together for 10 seconds. It turned the phone off, but it will not reboot.

Instead, when the phone is plugged in or reset, I get the Apple logo, followed about 2-3 minutes later by the time circle which freezes as soon as it appears. The phone stays this way for 10 minutes or so, until it resets itself with a black screen, followed by a red bar battery symbol, and then the Apple logo followed by the frozen time circle.

I have tried all of the standard reset strategies (pressing both buttons, tethering while the computer reboots, holding the start button while it is plugged in, all with and without the sim installed) and nothing has gotten it beyond the loop.

The phone will go into DFU mode, but I am worried about a system restore as I am under the impression that even if it works, it will mess up my ability to re-Jailbreak it as it will upgrade the firmware to the latest version (which I have been scrupulously avoiding until now). Maybe at this point there is nothing to lose though.

I have an Apple store nearby, but I am reluctant to take it there due to the Jailbreak (although I don't know how they would know given the state that the phone is in). I would also hate to have them replace the phone with a replacement that has the new bootrom that can't be jailbroken (or have they now managed to jailbreak these too?).

Thanks for the help.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Since the phone can go into DFU mode, why aren't you just rejailbreaking? You won't go to a new firmware unless you choose to. What kid of phone do you have?

3. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

I did go into DFU mode, and was able to restore and get back up and running again. I couldn't figure out though how to restore without going to the latest firmware (what did I miss?). I know that I will still be able to do a tethered jailbreak, but I'm mostly concerned with finding an unlock solution for 3.1.3. Is there one?

Thanks much.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, you messed up since you already restored to 3.1.3. You could have picked 3.1.2 and gone to that using Redsn0w and then you could have unlocked with Blacksn0w.

Now, you can only use Spirit to get an untethered jailbreak and you won't be unlocking any time soon.

5. Makanmata thread starter macrumors member

Ouch!! What a bummer. I didn't see where I had a choice to choose my firmware version.