iPhone Stuck In Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pete44444444, Dec 11, 2011.

1. pete44444444 macrumors member

Hello everyone,
    My iPhone 3g recently ran out of battery. When I tried to charge it nothing would come up on the screen. I plugged it into the computer with iTunes open and it was recognized by iTunes immediately. A popup came up and said that the iPhone was in recovery mode and needed to be restored. During the restore an unknown error 21 came up. I tried disabling security features on my computer as suggested by apple but it is still not working. Any Suggestions?
    :(:(:(:mad:

2. pete44444444 thread starter macrumors member

Ok Just tried reinstalling iTunes. Still not working.

3. pete44444444 thread starter macrumors member

4. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

while connected to iTunes, hold power and home button until the phone screen goes blank, count to 4-one thousand then release the power button while still holding the home button and keep holding the home button until the message appears in iTunes that the phone is in recovery mode, choose restore.

Keep in mind, your phone will be wiped of all data.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Try this link for information on the error you have.

If it's a 3G, is the battery dead? That's an old iPhone.

That same link has reset information as well.

EDIT: I was looking for what zigzagg321 said as well. That's probably your best bet.

6. pete44444444 thread starter macrumors member

I already tried that. And the screen cant go blank because it already is blank no matter what i do. Its when I restore that I get the unknown error 21.

----------

Already tried that.

7. pete44444444 thread starter macrumors member

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

For a price. Try a local cell phone surgeon.

Do you think the battery might be dead?

9. pete44444444 thread starter macrumors member

Fairly positive the phone is not dead. The issue is software related. I tunes prompts me to restore the phone because it is stuck in recovery mode. When I try to restore I receive unknown error 21. During the attempt to restore the screen on the iphone changes from off to white. I followed all trouble shooting steps on apples website with no progress.

10. Legonro macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problems as you. Have you tried using redsn0w or TinyUmbrella to attempt to fix recovery? I've tried, but sadly, with no success. I'm recommending this to you in the hopes that you'll have different luck.

11. pete44444444 thread starter macrumors member

I took the the phone to apple, they diagnosed it as a battery issue and told me to get a new one.