iPhone stuck on white screen, DFU Mode, error 21

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by amandagal, Dec 26, 2010.

1. amandagal macrumors newbie

I've searched for a while and tried a few things, but my case seems to be different than others who've had these problems.

I don't know what happened to my phone. It was fine this morning, I was going out to eat with my family and noticed the battery was low (in the red zone, the phone wasn't so low it was off), so I left the phone at home, hooked to my Mac to charge.

Later, I went to get it and noticed it was displaying a solid white screen. Weird. I tried resetting it, and I got the apple logo/black and then the solid white screen again. I hooked it back up to the Mac and it said it was in DFU mode. I tried to restore and it gave me error 21. I looked into that, saw it could be a 100 different things so I tried a new USB cable, a new USB port, I brought it over to my PC and tried two user accounts on that...still error 21 (it goes from the black "DFU" screen back to the white screen during the restore process).

I have not seen the apple logo at all since that initial reset.

I also tried redsn0w and the phone does the same thing. I even read one post that said to try iREB so I tried that as a last ditch effort . . . same results, even though iREB said it worked.

Any other tricks I can try? The phone is out of warranty and I don't have a genius bar in the state. The phone was running the latest iOS (I just updated a few days ago) and was not rooted or unlocked.

2. celticpride678

Error 21: These errors occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. If you are using a PC, follow this article to resolve this issue.

If that does not work, then you're going to have to find a way to bring it in to the Genius Bar.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

iPhone errors in the 20's are related to hardware issues.