iPhone subsidized pricing for the next iPhone model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SirithX, Jun 9, 2009.

1. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

So I'm with AT&T right now, and I've been waiting on WWDC to actually get my first iPhone. I've ordered the iPhone 3GS (with the $200 surcharge and $18 fee since my contract doesn't support the completely subsidized prices), and my question is:

Since so many people are having issues upgrading from their 3G to the 3GS without outrageous unsubsidized prices, does this mean as a new 3GS owner am I going to have the same issues if during next year's WWDC a new, more revolutionary iPhone comes out and I want to upgrade?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're getting the early upgrade subsidy, you will not get the complete subsidy next year either. Again, it will be another "early upgrade" as with the phone that you have just ordered you are starting a new two year agreement.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Yep that's what it means. I bought my 3G a month after it came out and I can't upgrade until 2/10/2010. So I'll wait for the next update and then upgrade.

4. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

Ah, lame. So I'm assuming at the least I'll be eligible for an "early upgrade" like what I'm doing now, an extra $200 plus a $18 fee? That's better than $700, although that's still not something to celebrate.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Uhh. Pretty much. Here's the skinny as best i understand it:

-Apple and ATT introduce first gen iPhones at full price.
    -Apple drops price and offers partial refunds for early adopters.
    -ATT requires 2 year contract for service, but ultimately offers no subsidies.

-Apple introduced iPhone 3G at carrier subsidized price.
    -1st Gen iPhone customers still in contract are offered a subsidized upgrade price on iPhone 3G.

-iPhone 3GS "tuned by jobs" is released.
    -ATT says no full subsidized price for most customers, and some (primary account holders on family line) are offered an upgrade price several hundred dollars above the price of the phone for new customers. ATT does this because they already subsidized the price of the 3G iPhone and have not yet "recouped the cost".
    -MR Members Btch n' Moan to an excessive degree.

So as long as you aren't expecting ATT to subsidize ANOTHER phone for you a year from now, like I, you are good to go.

6. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

Well, I was hoping for a more... "revolutionary" upgrade from the 3G the way the 3G was to the original iPhone, but I am quite happy with the 3GS as it is. I have a feeling there will be a substantial update to it next year though, and I'm just predicting that I'll really want to upgrade next year so I'm just trying to figure out my options.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5