Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Progetto300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
My iPhone 6s + is suddenly no longer recognized by iTunes.

I think the problem came after an update from the iOS to 12.1
I work with an older iMac with OSX 10.11.6 and iTunes version 12.8.0.150
I have never had problems with the recognition of the phone by iTunes until now.

Sometimes I get the message that I have to do a software update but it does not work.
I get the message that the software is not available on the server.

Now I get the following message:

"iTunes can not read the content of the iPhone" iPhone from Kristof. "Go to the" Overview "tab in the iPhone preferences and click on" Restore "to restore the factory settings of the iPhone."

This does not work because after closing the message, the button of the iPhone next to the button "music" disappears.

I have also reinstalled iTunes but this does not help.

What else can I try?

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
- Try to reboot the iPhone
- plug the cable into another USB port
- try another cable
- check if the connector hole on the iPhone has dirt inside
- try a different computer

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My iPhone 6s + is suddenly no longer recognized by iTunes.

I think the problem came after an update from the iOS to 12.1
I work with an older iMac with OSX 10.11.6 and iTunes version 12.8.0.150
I have never had problems with the recognition of the phone by iTunes until now.

Sometimes I get the message that I have to do a software update but it does not work.

Now I get the following message:

"iTunes can not read the content of the iPhone" iPhone from Kristof. "Go to the" Overview "tab in the iPhone preferences and click on" Restore "to restore the factory settings of the iPhone."

This does not work because after closing the message, the button of the iPhone next to the button "music" disappears.

I have also reinstalled iTunes but this does not help.

What else can I try?
I can only respond to my case scenario which was on 10.13.6 (not sure the version your using is new enough to work with iOS12). iTunes needs a supplemental download to work with iOS12 unless your on Mojave. A popup came up when I first plugged in my iPhone to iTunes after updating to iOS12 that installed the necessary software, then everything worked correctly.. You can check the Apple support page for the required download or you can search on this site as I know there are several threads on the issue your describing..

Progetto300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
iTunes needs a supplemental download to work with iOS12 unless your on Mojave. A popup came up when I first plugged in my iPhone to iTunes after updating to iOS12 that installed the necessary software, then everything worked correctly.. You can check the Apple support page for the required download or you can search on this site as I know there are several threads on the issue your describing..

Like i mentioned :

upload_2018-11-25_12-23-16.png

[doublepost=1543148421][/doublepost]You're not going to believe this...

After everything i tried and people suggested on different fora, i decided to do the last thing i would think that caused the problem : changing the cable.
Why should i do that ? The cable connected to the iMac always worked. I get a "ping" noise from the iPhone if i connect it. iTunes opens when i connect the phone, and the phone appears in "system info ->USB"
So you should think that the cable works perfectly not ?

I've two cables, one always connected to the iMac, another from the power charger.
I changed these cables and unbelievable, the iPhone gets recognized in iTunes instantly !
These two cables look identical + the one i used on the mac always worked since i bought the iPhone .
If i put the so called "defect" cable to the charger and connect the phone, the iPhone charges normally.

What can cause one cable to work and the other not ? None of the cables is damaged either on the cable or connectors...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.