iPhone supporting Flash? Make up your own minds!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BuxtonUK, Nov 7, 2007.

1. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Was just having a quick look at a thread showing more pictures from the T3 exclusive look at the phone and came across this picture..

[​IMG]

Nothing out of the ordinary, but then I looked at the page I was viewing..

[​IMG]

Same advert for Logitech, but that advert is Flash, I thought iPhone didn't display anything if Flash wasn't installed?

2. SombreroMan macrumors newbie

That website may be scripted to display an alternate .jpg ad if flash isn't installed.

3. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

Included in the 1.1.2 update perhaps? Maybe the advertising network has a static alternative for those without flash installed.
    Edit: SombreroMan you're too quick!

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Notice that on the iPhone the ad is missing the little red "Expand" triangle in the upper left corner. Looks like there's just a non-flash version and it gracefully downgrades.

5. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

wow! You're on to something there mate.

I don't want to be the one who says this, but there's a chance that they photoshopped their advert in afterwards.

However, I don't see why they would want to!

I did a quick test of the site and it doesn't seem like it serves a static image if the flash plugin can't be found (I just disabled plugins in Safari)

It would also make sense if they added Flash support in 1.1.2. So far, all the minor changes haven't really been enough to persuade the USA guys to upgrade when it comes out. If the 1.1.2 upgrade includes Flash, I think a large number of people will be happy to upgrade.

edt: actually...ignore ALL that...the website does serve up a static image if flash isn't enabled. Poo!

6. BuxtonUK thread starter macrumors member

Yep, it appears there is a static image when Flash isn't there, had to have a look without Flash installed.

Oh well, time to delete the thread ¦P

7. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

I recall either a review or the words of Apple saying that there is no flash player. It is official, no current flash support on the iPhone, maybe they will change it, although it doens't bother me.

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Flash support would be really, really nice for when the BBC starts streaming it's content on iPlayer later this year...

9. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

They could always release QuickTime encoded versions à la YouTube.

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not going to happen, so Flash would really help.

Phazer

11. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

I take it you're in charge of implementing this at the BBC then?

12. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

The iPhone supports the AT&T MMS site viewmymessage.com and it's a flash based site, so it seems that the iPhone already supports Flash to some small degree.

13. WhiteShadow macrumors regular

it is adobe we are waiting for to port flash to the iphone so apple can implement it. flash currently isn't built to work on the iphone.