iPhone supporting Flash? Make up your own minds!

BuxtonUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Was just having a quick look at a thread showing more pictures from the T3 exclusive look at the phone and came across this picture..

Nothing out of the ordinary, but then I looked at the page I was viewing..

Same advert for Logitech, but that advert is Flash, I thought iPhone didn't display anything if Flash wasn't installed?

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Included in the 1.1.2 update perhaps? Maybe the advertising network has a static alternative for those without flash installed.
Edit: SombreroMan you're too quick!

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
Notice that on the iPhone the ad is missing the little red "Expand" triangle in the upper left corner. Looks like there's just a non-flash version and it gracefully downgrades.

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
wow! You're on to something there mate.

I don't want to be the one who says this, but there's a chance that they photoshopped their advert in afterwards.

However, I don't see why they would want to!

I did a quick test of the site and it doesn't seem like it serves a static image if the flash plugin can't be found (I just disabled plugins in Safari)

It would also make sense if they added Flash support in 1.1.2. So far, all the minor changes haven't really been enough to persuade the USA guys to upgrade when it comes out. If the 1.1.2 upgrade includes Flash, I think a large number of people will be happy to upgrade.

edt: actually...ignore ALL that...the website does serve up a static image if flash isn't enabled. Poo!

BuxtonUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Yep, it appears there is a static image when Flash isn't there, had to have a look without Flash installed.

Oh well, time to delete the thread ¦P

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
I recall either a review or the words of Apple saying that there is no flash player. It is official, no current flash support on the iPhone, maybe they will change it, although it doens't bother me.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
The iPhone supports the AT&T MMS site viewmymessage.com and it's a flash based site, so it seems that the iPhone already supports Flash to some small degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.