iPhone survived a swim!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bretm, May 22, 2009.

1. bretm macrumors 68000

Amazing! I was cleaning my pool when my 2 year old son decided to fall in. After jumping in and grabbing him, walking to the steps and getting out, I realized my iphone was in my jeans pocket. The boy was fine but cold so we went inside and dried off. Finally I took my phone out expecting the worst. There was an error message on the screen saying that this device wasn't compatible with iPhone, and it wouldn't turn off. I dried it off with a hairdryer, and it's completely back to normal in every way! If anything, safari is snappier.

2. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

One time I did that in pure water, water with no impurities, and I was able to use my iphone perfectly fine in the water (since water isn't conductive)
    Also one time I cleaned my computer by submerging it entirely into alcohol. After it dried it worked perfectly to this day

3. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

I had a Razr V3i that took a swim in the toilet and I let everything dry in the sun and when it was dry enough (as dry as i thought it needed to be) i put the battery back in and it worked fine! the sensor BARELY turned pink!

I assume this is different though because you can't take the batter out of an iphone just like that. But I think if you take care of it quickly it can work fine... but sometimes people get unlucky and it doesn't work anymore...

4. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

If Apple is going to lock batteries in products, I really wish they would at least provide some kind of tab you can pull out to disconnect all contact.

5. M2M macrumors regular

M2M

My 1st gen iphone took a dive in the vanity basin. couldn't turn it one for 2 weeks an lost wifi after. Well I got a 3g after and was amazed by the simplicity of backup sync. Everything on the new 3g like it was on the 1st gen. Safe for the changed shell (and more space) no difference. All contacts, mails, music, pictures, blabla... Just took 10 minutes to sync.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Very happy to hear that your son is alright. :) ...And the iPhone too, I suppose.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet that's why you'd like the glowing apple logo.

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I hope you have a fence around your pool to keep him from falling in if your not around.

9. CarlyLyon macrumors member

thank god for itunes backup... had the phone take a plunge in the water and ended up working later on

10. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

Water is always conductive.

11. flapperdink macrumors member

actually, de-ionized water is nearly non-conductive. the impurities in water is what conducts.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The impurit-free arguement is correct. However, I call BS on your dunking a phone for fun to see it work.

13. firewood macrumors 604

In fact, if you drop your phone into impure water (especially anything salty), the best thing you can do is to immediately dunk it back into de-ionized or distilled water, and soak out the impurities for awhile.

no warranties implied. ymmv.

14. flapperdink macrumors member

i've never dropped my phone in water yet, but a friend of mine went accidentally dropped her phone in water. she let it soak in a bowl of uncooked rice...worked perfectly to suck the water out of the phone.

15. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

if you get your iphone or any electronic wet how long does it take to dry because cant water get into deep small places not allowing the device to work anymore

16. firewood macrumors 604

Reports here suggest that it may take as much as several days to 1 week of desiccation (bag of uncooked rice, etc.) before everything is dry. Probably depends on how warm the bag of rice is kept at (but max temperature spec for an iPhone is 113F/45C non-operating).

ymmv.