iPhone Survives!......Almost

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigManOnCampus, Jun 27, 2010.

1. BigManOnCampus macrumors newbie

Today my girlfriend and I were getting into my car she mistakenly put my iPhone 3GS on top of my car and forgot about it. So as we took off driving at about speeds of 55 MPH I suddenly saw something fly off the back of the car. So I pulled over and I searched around and saw my elastic case first, then after a bit more of searching I found my iPhone on the side of the road still intact but with some good damage to it. Everything works on the phone still except for the home button and the reception... The 2 most important things (I think). So I am just wondering if anyone knows what I should do form here... I did not insure the phone and I have had it for about a year. Is this a fix that maybe I could perform myself? Or will I need help?

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You won't be able to fix the reception problems. Sell it on eBay labelled as damaged and clearly describe the damage. You can pull in a very decent sum, then buy an iPhone 4. If you do keep it, I would get a better case that doesn't fall off.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

iPhone Survives!.
    No, it didn't.

4. BigManOnCampus thread starter macrumors newbie

If I sold it on eBay I wouldn't even get $100 for it though would I? And the iPhone 4 would cost me what, like $500 when its not with a 2 year contract? Is there anyway I could fix this thing??

5. ColeHarris macrumors regular

Nope sorry dude don't mean to be pessimistic but your kinda scr@#!ed Really apple doesn't replace products unless the error was of the their fault, and as far as fixing unless your an absolute hardware genius (and even then) very unlikely! To bad next time buy a better case or ummm make sure your girlfriend doesn't leave your 700 dollar phone on the top of your car!!!! Sorry and good luck wish I could have been of more help!

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You could get around $150 on eBay and may possibly be eligible for the $200/$300 pricing. You'll make more/less depending on which iPhone 3GS model you have. Search damaged iPhone 3GS on eBay and compare the auctions to the damage on yours.

7. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Check your upgrade eligibility by dialing *639# on your phone...AT&T changed upgrade dates...if you bought your 3GS on the first day of iPhone 3GS, you should be eligible for an upgrade @ 199...... if not, I guess just buy an iPhone 3GS on ebay contract free for like 250 bucks... 3GS to 4 isn't that big of an upgrade...or at least one I'm not willing to use my upgrade for...

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You could try opening it and seeing where the damage is done and replacing those parts your self go to ifixit.com, there is a step by step on how to do this. You could also search for an iPhone repair shop near you, though it'll probably cost you like $200 for the repair.

9. BigManOnCampus thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait so I could upgrade for 199? Is this only if I purchased the phone on the first day? Because I believe I purchased it a few weeks after the first day

10. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

11. BigManOnCampus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I dialed that number on the my phone (my phone does get like 1 bar of reception every 5 minutes) and this is the message I got back...
    "Due to past due balance, and other reasons, an upgrade is not available. Payment will make full retail pricing available for all handsets except iPhone. After payment we can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee at a participating iPhone sales location."
    Does this mean I could get an iPhone 4? It seems that this could be the cheapest route to get an iPhone back.

12. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think so. AT&T is giving everybody an extra six month window of eligibility only for the iPhone 4.

13. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Uhh, I don't think that you're eligible for an upgrade at 199... I don't suggest early upgrades either because once you do that, you can't do it again for 1 year and a half... Early upgrade is 399 for 16GB and 499 for 32GB, plus tax on the full price of the phone...

14. BigManOnCampus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am going to go in tomorrow and see what they say I suppose... Crossing my fingers for the $199 upgrade cause if that doesn't happen, no iPhone for me for another year.

15. cowsrus macrumors 6502

do you really need to go in to have someone tell you something you can check on the computer?

save yourself the time and log into your at&t account to check your eligibility
    if you cant upgrade and $400-500 is too steep for you buy a used 16GB 3GS on ebay for around $200-300, same price as a subsidized iPhone 4

if none of that is to your liking then yes, no iPhone for you for another year or so

16. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

17. Krayd2k macrumors member