iPhone swap question RE: AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Dec 26, 2008.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I'm relatively new to AT&T and was wondering about this scenario:

I added my wife to our family account just over a month ago (beyond the AT&T penalty-free cancellation time frame) with a 16GB iPhone purchased at an Apple store (still within holiday return timeframe). It turns out that she wants an 8GB... so I was wondering whether I could purchase an 8GB on a new (third) line, swap ESNs and then cancel the new line (that was required for the purchase of the 8GB) within 14 days.

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

if the 16GB is still within "holiday return timeframe" then you can return it and switch it with an 8GB at the store without doing anything with the lines. They might charge a restocking fee (10% i think? $30).

Why does she want the 8 over the 16? The 16 gives you a lot more room for music, movie, and app expansion!

3. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks...I forgot to mention the other reason for the transaction: we've got credit at AT&T so we want to buy the new unit through them. As far as 8GB, we're just trying to save some $$ and she really doesn't use the extra memory.

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I don't want to sound rude, since I hardly can say I know your financial situation in these tough times, but if you get the 16GB it will probably last you longer in the grand scheme of things. Plus, it's lest tempting to upgrade an expensive phone when a new one comes out.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Good luck on your decision/swap,
    TS