Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbro1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
I would like to see the future updates include switch from landscape to portrait like the nano? If anything, if they could make it an option.

Sometime when I'm on my iPhone I have it laying on my desk. If I want it to go from portrait view to landscape I have to tip it up. I would like to take 2 fingers and just turn it.

Same thing if I am laying in bed. Take 2 fingers and turn it instead of locking the landscape mode.

Another example would be when I am looking at a pic someone sent me and it is sideways, Everytime I turn my phone to make it right side up it goes sideways again. It pisses me off. If I could just use 2 fingers and turn it the way I wanted it look at it would be awesome.

What do you guys think?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I think Apple solved your problem back in June with iOS 4.0

Double tap the Home button, Swipe Right to lock/unlock the orientation of the screen

img0328.png

jbro1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
I think Apple solved your problem back in June with iOS 4.0

Double tap the Home button, Swipe Right to lock/unlock the orientation of the screen

img0328.png

Yes I know this. Apple is all about making things easy and "cool". I don't want to double tap the home screen slide to the right and hit the lock button when I could do this all with just 2 fingers really quick.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think Apple has checked this implementation method off of their to-do list and has moved on. I think we are stuck with this double tapping the home button method.

I'm not saying that your idea isn't cool (or better), just that this is the best we got.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
That could be a good idea, however the nano works better because it's a square. It doesn't matter how you hold it, it'll always look the same. And I don't think they would allow that on the iPhone because if you hold it in a portrait mode and you were to turn the screen horizontally, it would mess up the whole display. So basically, to Apple it would seem useless since most people might have more problems with it than anything else.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think Apple has checked this implementation method off of their to-do list and has moved on. I think we are stuck with this double tapping the home button method.

I'm not saying that your idea isn't cool (or better), just that this is the best we got.

...except that what you suggested isn't what the OP wants.

The orientation lock isn't a toggle.

It just locks the screen's orientation to portrait.

If the phone thinks it is in Portrait mode and you turn the orientation lock off, the screen wont rotate to landscape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.