iPhone switch from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chr1s60, Feb 4, 2008.

1. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I am posting this thread for my dad who has an iPhone that he currently uses on a PC. Later this week he will be buying an iMac(thanks to me convincing him). He is wondering what will happen with his address book that he currently syncs from outlook. When I did a clean install of Leopard on my iMac, I plugged in my iPhone and it transferred my address book, safari bookmarks, and iCal events from my iPhone on to my iMac. Will a new iMac take may dad's address book from his phone and sync it into Address Book on the Mac? I have no experience with this, if anyone does and knows how the new iMac will treat the current info on the iPhone, please let me know. Also if anyone else has any other advice in switching from PC to Mac with the iPhone that would be great too. Thanks for any help.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Going from 1 OS to the other usually requires a restore of the device. That's how it was with the ipods. So Just set up the mac first and export calendar, addressbook, etc. and then import that data into the appropriate apps on the mac. Then plug in the iphone and see what happens. You'll probably have to restore the iphone and then it will sync all the data you just moved to the mac. Done.

3. totalmajor macrumors newbie

Definitely need to restore

I've had to do it
    It sucks if you have alot of important information on it especially if some of the documents you have on your MAC won't transfer over to your PC

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you go from a PC to a Mac you won't have to restore, it will just warn you that it has to erase your music and videos. As far as data, you will be given a choice on if you would like to merge your data with what is on the Mac.

I have done the above and it works perfectly.

As far as going from a Mac to a PC, you will have to format.

I have even updated my iPhone on a PC then moved it over to the Mac to load up all the data and music.

5. chr1s60 thread starter macrumors 68000

chr1s60

This is what I was hoping to hear. I know it won't take music and video and I already plan on transferring all that stuff for him. I just know it can be a pain transferring contacts from outlook to address book. Merging contacts would make things much easier. Thanks for the info.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Not a probkem. This was also very useful one time when I was getting an error when trying to restore my phone on my Mac. I went to my PC and restored it there, then when I plugged the phone into my Mac, I was prompted to load my previous backup.

On a iPod, you can also go from a PC to a Mac without having to restore but from a Mac to a PC you have to restore, in other words, format.

Enjoy that phone!

7. jbellanca macrumors 6502

You could also sync his address book to Yahoo! (via iTunes) first just to be sure it's somewhere, then sync it back down after the switch.

8. mohbeen macrumors newbie

Moving from PC to MACbook

I am sorry....just wanted to reconfirm...all you need to do is:
    1) connect your iphone to macbook and your contacts will be synced to the mac?
    2) I understand the music n stuff will be erased.

I am primarily concerned about my contacts as i have lost the original pc that i had used to sync in my contacts to my iphone.

9. mohbeen macrumors newbie

PC to MAC iphone contacts sync OK!

Ok...no worries...i upgraded my phone and here some input from my side:
    1) First of all to make sure you dont lose your contacts....do the following: using iphonebrowser (on a PC) take a back up of the two database files under addressbook in library.
    2) Once you restore or lose you contacts for some reason, you can simply copy the db files into the addressbook folder in iphone, restart the phone and you should have your info. Same is the case for calendar and SMS.
    3) Now if you are moving from PC to MAC, there is no issue. When you connect to your MAC, and run itunes, select sync contacts with addressbook and calendar with ical. MAC will ask you if you want to merge the data, i.e. copy your iphone contacts into MAC. Just click yes and you will have all your contacts and calendar events synced to your mac without losing any data.

Note: You will lose your music and photos and all.