iPhone sync to different computer/ unlock 4.0 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jnguyen4, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

My girlfriend has an iPhone 3G that is unlocked to 3.1.2 via blackrain. Since the phone has been updated to 3.1.2, it lost the ability to sync because when we try to sync it, it says that it has already been synced with a different computer which is bogus. Is there an app in cydia or anything that can change the id of the computer to allow her to sync again?

Another thing is push notifications don't work anymore. They used to work but not anymore. I installed some push fixes for her but they don't seem to work. Any help there either?

I created a custom firmware for her running 4.0. When she tried to install the firmware, it gives her an unknown error 1006. Any clues to what that means? Is it worth it for her to upgrade to 4.0? or do you guys think she should stay on 3.1.2? Thanks in advanced.

2. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Just update to iOS 4.0, use redsn0w to jailbreak, and use ultrasn0w to unlock. No push fix needed with redsn0w :D
    I've tried pretty much all the jailbreak programs, and blackra1n was one of the sketchy ones :/. Redsn0w gave me no problems.

3. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

This is probably the easiest option, but I don't think it will work because as of right now, she cannot sync to her computer. If she just restores it to 4.0, same problem, the computer still recognizes it as being synced with a different computer. I think the only way is to install it from a custom firmware. Am I wrong?

4. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

I don't think installing from a custom ipsw will fix it. This is the first time I've heard of a problem like this.
    Is she setting up her iPhone as a new phone instead of a backup?

Or maybe she should try deleting her sync history and device backups in iTunes. You would do this by going to iTunes, edit, preferences, and go to the devices tab.

5. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Installing a custom ipsw will allow her to set the phone up as a new phone or from a backup. We haven't got to the point of even setting up the phone yet.

6. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Have you tried a DFU restore to stock iOS 4.0, and then jailbreaking with redsn0w? After doing so, it SHOULD allow you to set up the iPhone as new or from a backup in iTunes. (Trust me, I've done this SO MANY times.)

If restoring to custom iOS 4.0 ipsw works then great. Don't use sn0wbreeze though. Push notifications and the youtube app will not work. (At least it didn't for me). If you are going to use a custom ipsw, use pwnagetool to make it.

7. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Yea I used pwnagetool 4.1. But it seems like she's getting this error when she installs it even after putting it in DFU mode. Is there a way to sync with 2 computers? I might just tell her to stay at 3.1.2 because many are saying 4.0 is way too slow on a 3G.

8. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Trust me. 4.0 is NOT slow on the 3G if you DON'T ENABLE MULTITASKING. It's actually as fast as 3.x.

Is she running the latest version of iTunes? (9.2) Because iOS 4 will not sync with any lower version of iTunes.

And there is NO way to sync an iPod/iPhone to 2 computers (one thing that these Apple products are notorious for.)

9. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Yes she is on 9.2 and something is wrong with the custom ipsw. I used the same custom ispw to jailbreak my own 3G and now i just copied it for her to use. Same exact file and it's giving an error.

10. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

You used the same ipsw on your iPhone and it works perfectly?

In that case, something weird may be wrong with your girlfriend's iPhone. Will her iPhone sync with another computer? Or will it not sync with any computer?

11. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Same firmware worked in my 3G. This phone used to sync with her computer but it doesn't anymore. Now it says that the phone has been synced with another computer, therefore won't sync with hers. Should she try and sync with a different computer?

12. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Yes she should try syncing with another computer. Try syncing her iPhone with your computer. If her iPhone will not sync with ANY computer, it is either a problem with the iPhone, or you're doing something wrong. But judging from what you told me, it should be working.....

13. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

I doubt that it will sync so i'll just try to install the custom ipsw using a different computer and itunes. Then hopefully that will install.

Any other suggestions?

14. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

If that does not work, here's what you should do.

DFU restore to official iOS4.0 (not custom), jailbreak using redsn0w (it does not matter if the iPhone will not sync with iTunes or not; it will still jailbreak the phone), leave the iPhone connected to the computer after the jailbreak has completed, and open iTunes. It should detect your iPhone and ask to set it up...

15. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Oh good idea. Didn't think of the DFU the official 4.0. That would make it a brand new phone. Thanks.

16. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

No problem. :D

If it still will not sync, we can conclude that it is a hardware problem, and you should take it to Apple if you still are in warranty.

17. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Hey I just restored to 4.0 from apple. Then used redsn0w to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock. Now it seems like push doesn't work. Is there a fix?