iPhone sync with Exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Welshboy85, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Welshboy85 macrumors newbie

I know there are lots of post on this site regarding this problem, but my problem seems to be different to everyone else's!

I am trying to connect to Microsoft exchange (work emails) and can only do so when I'm actually in the office connected to the work wi- fi! As soon as I've left the office I get the 'cannot connect to server' message. The server address for the company ends with .local and I'm pretty sure it's this that needs changing. But I don't know what to change it to. I have tried .co.uk but keep getting the 'cannot connect to server' error message.

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Rhys

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

You are right about the address - .local implies you are using an address that only exists inside your office network. You need to ask someone in IT at your company if they provide an Internet-accessible address for the Exchange server, and if so, what it is - you will be unlikely to guess it. If they don't, then it's not possible.

3. Welshboy85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can access my e-mails on a laptop, the address is (companyname).co.uk/webmail. Will I have to access it like this every time, or do you know of a way to access through the mail application. We don't have a proper IT guy who can help me as I'd wish.

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

It depends on how it is set up at the server end. The iPhone uses ActiveSync which has to be enabled both on the Exchange server in general, and on your Exchange account. If it is enabled, you still need the right Internet address, which may not be obvious enough to guess. You will need to get more information from someone at work. Do you know anyone else at work who has got it working on any mobile phone via the Internet?

5. Welshboy85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know someone has it set up on their Blackberry, but I'm told that the settings or something are different. I will check with the gentleman who looks after our internet tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for your help so far!