Iphone sync with itunes after changing computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aldo818, Oct 1, 2010.

1. aldo818 macrumors regular

Till now i always backup and sync my iphone with my Office PC but i would like to think it at home with my Macbook pro now is it possible to switch from one computer to another or will the data get lost.

Is it a prob that i sync till now with a PC and now with a Mac

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

iTunes will inform you that it's synced with another cpu and if you wish to continue it will erase the content from the work cpu and sync with the content on the home cpu...you can select what gets synced though

3. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

How can you do this? I was going to sync to my macbook pro but I didn't want to lose what was on my phone. It would be nice if the new computer updated itself with what was on the iphone.

I know that apps bought with the phone sync over to your itunes but I have yet to figure out how to keep what was on the phone on the phone using a different computer.

4. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

As i m scared i still haven t tried it.

So can anyone confirm that when i sync my iphone and ipad with my new macbook i won t loose all the data on them and it will copy it into my new itunes as backup if i need them once?

I can t get the data of my work computer anymore as it s broken therefore i lost all data on it :(

What do i have to do in order to keep all data and apps on iphone and ipad in order to be able to sync it with a brand new macbook

5. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

6. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

did you find a way to do it?

7. yac macrumors newbie

The way i did this using iTunes 9.2.1 was simply cloning the iTunes Music folder onto the new computer(i think Migration Assistant will work too).

This will effectively clone your iTunes library, and it wont matter which computer you plug it in to. Just remember to close down itunes and unplug any iDevices prior to cloning it. The iTunes versions should match each other.

It will however not keep your libraries in sync, which means you need to transfer purchases to both libraries if you frequently sync with both machines. The best solution in this scenario IMO is to use n macs for syncing, and a dedicated network-attached storage solution, such as a NAS, which hosts the "master" iTunes library. Then you can set up an automatic sync to your iTunes libraries locally on your Macs, and as long as you dont modify your libraries on more than one machine at any given time, your macs will always have the latest iTunes library available for offline usage, and as soon as you connect to your network they will sync any changes made since last, conflict-free.

Also, reportedly on iTunes 10 this one-library-per-device limitation is gone. You can (reportedly) play back music on your iDevices straight from iTunes 10 on any computer.

Havent read any specific info on device sync under 10 though.

8. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular