Iphone sync with two computers

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bryanvlam, Aug 22, 2010.

1. bryanvlam macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new here and i'm not sure if there was already a thread about this but I just got my iphone and i was able to manually manage it on my pc and mbp. But today, i had to reinstall my itunes because it kept crashing and now i can't manually click manage on both computers. I can only do it on one of them and when i try to do it on the other one, it asks to erase and sync. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong or if i'm missing something. Help would be nice. Thanks.

2. celticpride678

An iPhone can only be synced to one computer at a time. That's normal.

3. bryanvlam thread starter macrumors newbie

But before the reinstall, i was able to manually manage music on my mac and pc. After the reinstall, this was not possible anymore

4. celticpride678

I don't know how you did it, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible. iDevice's can only be synced to one computer at a time.

5. bryanvlam thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm. so if i manually manage and add songs on my mbp and plug it into my pc, i won't be able to play the songs off the iphone in the devices list?

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

not exactly true. I sync and/or backup everyones iPhone on my pc before I work on them. especially if I am JB'ing a iPhone. now I know there are conflicts about the music but I do it every day. I even do it on my iPhone on 3 different computers. I know if I try to load music I can only do it from one computer but I can definitely sync and backup on multiple ones.

7. TxStig macrumors newbie

My understanding is you can play music off of your Iphone\Ipod if the computer you are hooked up to has been authorized to play the music (if it is DRM'ed) - If it does not have a DRM on it you can play it on whatever computer you hook the Iphone\Ipod up on.

With this in mind you can not Sync to the computer though (ie copy from the Iphone\Ipod to the computer).