iPhone syncing to new laptop question...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Richy23, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Richy23 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

My girlfriend has recently bought a new laptop, and has an iPhone 4. When she plugs it in and clicks sync on apps, it says all app and the info etc will be deleted and replaces with apps on iTunes (of which there aren't any at the mo obviously!

Is there any way round this? What would happen if we click sync on the overview? :)

Would that sync everything on the phone onto the laptop?

Thanks!

2. RMXO, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

RMXO macrumors 6502a

you can change the settings to not erase everything on the iphone. if you were to sync with the erase iphone option on, I believe it will erase & only sync whats on iTunes. I also turn off auto sync when the iphone is plugged in but that is a personal preference.

EDIT: when the iphone is plugged in. Dont do a sync. right click on the iphone & do transfer apps. it will transfer all the apps off the iphone into iTunes.

3. Richy23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

How do you do this? If we press sync on the summary, what will it do?

:)

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Connect your device to iTunes, right click on your device in the left pane, and select "Transfer Purchases". That will transfer the apps to iTunes.

5. Richy23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Will photos stay on the phone when I click sync? And how about texts/contacts? :)

Thanks!

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you want to save the photos, you need to download those before you sync, or they will be deleted.
    iTunes will let you select the place to transfer your contacts.

7. Richy23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! The texts will all be ok too yes? :D

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to backup the iPhone and then restore from the backup or you'll lose the texts. Make sure you copy the backup to a safe place before restoring, so you have it in case something goes wrong.

9. Richy23 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Backup the phone? Right click on the iPhone icon on the left pane in iTunes.

Backup the backup? Copy the backup from the MobileSync directory to somewhere else.