iPhone syncing with two macs WORKS!

old thrashbarg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Hi all--

I have an iPhone 3GS, a Macbook Pro and an iMac. A few months ago, I wanted to sync my iPhone with both computers, just like you can with the iPod...and I realized, like most, that this is not possible. After searching the Internet for a solution, I found one, but it seemed, well, complicated and perhaps unethical. If Apple didn't want me to do this, I wasn't going to do it.

All of a sudden, it works! I didn't update the software, I didn't mess with any settings - but, lo and behold, the iPhone now works flawlessly with two computers! Did Apple do something behind-the-scenes to fix this issue? It didn't work two months ago, and now it does.

Am I the only one? Did Apple fix this common problem and not tell us?

Thanks - I am just curious!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When you say "works flawlessly", what do you mean?

My iPhone is set to sync with my home computer. I can plug it into my work computer and iTunes has no problem with that, but that's because the initial sync settings are all set off. If I enable the "Sync Music" feature on my work computer, then the problems begin.

old thrashbarg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Clarification

You're absolutely right - sorry - allow me to clarify:

It works flawlessly for what I want it to do. Here's the situation two months ago:

*It could only sync media from my iMac, but my Macbook Pro couldn't "view" the media (it was all grayed out)

*It COULD sync info.

Now, all of a sudden, the media is no longer grayed out. In other words, I can sync media on my iMac at home, and then view the media on my Macbook Pro on the road. Two months ago (or the last time I checked) it couldn't do that.

It can now. The media is accessible from multiple computers. I only keep media on my home iMac, so I cannot test the functionality of actually putting media on the iPhone from multiple computers.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding - my question still remains, however - the media was grayed out on my second computer, and now it isn't. What has changed?