iPhone syncing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stevelamont, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Stevelamont macrumors newbie

How many computers can an iPhone sync to in it's life time? Google searches keep giving me answers to syncing with multiple computers at same time

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've never heard of there being a limit in terms of lifetime.

3. Stevelamont thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a nagging feeling that it's 5, or would that be how many computers you can transfer purchases to? Also can I ask, I am going to update my iPhone to ios5 and I will be using a different computer, how do I sync my iPhone content to that computer so that I don't loose it all. The last time I did this I thought I was doing it right and lost everything including contacts. Syncing really confuses me!

4. Acronym macrumors 68000

as many computers as you see fit, I don't think it is limited really, suppose you had a new computer everyday you could sync with each one, provided you will lose any information from the previous computer.

You can only AUTHORIZE up to five computers no more than that

5. Stevelamont thread starter macrumors newbie

What does authorise actually mean? I was travelling a lot in the last few years and used a few computers.

6. Acronym macrumors 68000

it means five computers are allowed to access the apps/songs/videos you have downloaded with that account

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Another way of saying it is up to five instances of itunes on different computers can be "authorized" to your itunes account (Apple ID). Once you hit the limit, no more can be authorized until some are deauthorized.

The best thing is to always deauthorize a computer before you cease to have access to it. Understanding people may forget to do so, Apple gives a way to clear all authorized computers, you can do this once per year. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1420

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

yeah I ran into that problem haha one of my computers crashed and died completely making it impossible for me to deauthorize it.