Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Is there a fix for the tallscreen video that results from holding the iPhone/iTouch in portrait orientation, while shooting? I know that you can run it through iMovie and crop it, but is there a way (app, jailbreak, etc.) to trick the device into thinking that you are holding it in landscape orientation (like a Flip camera), while shooting video?

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
why jailbreak or crop the video later, just hold it in Landscape.

Because holding it in portrait orientation, like you would a Flip camera, just feels much more natural. It's also easier to drop, while holding it in landscape because you are trying not to obscure the camera or microphone with your fingers.

raulmujica

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
No more tallscreen video

Because holding it in portrait orientation, like you would a Flip camera, just feels much more natural. It's also easier to drop, while holding it in landscape because you are trying not to obscure the camera or microphone with your fingers.

Totally agree -- check out the KinKast iPhone app to record widescreen video while holding the phone in portrait position http://kinkast.tumblr.com

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I personally am used to holding a video camera SIDEWAYS, like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-XR150-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B0031RGL2A
BUT, I always hold my still cameras landscape, unless I want portrait photos.

Even if you trick the app into holding the camera sideways, that would mean the video would display sideways as well, while you're recording. Plus, I'd bet it's the arrangement of the sensor; the sensor is made to shoot portrait videos in portrait, and landscape videos in landscape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.