iPhone Tallscreen Fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ringwormcletus, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ringwormcletus macrumors newbie

Is there a fix for the tallscreen video that results from holding the iPhone/iTouch in portrait orientation, while shooting? I know that you can run it through iMovie and crop it, but is there a way (app, jailbreak, etc.) to trick the device into thinking that you are holding it in landscape orientation (like a Flip camera), while shooting video?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

why jailbreak or crop the video later, just hold it in Landscape.

3. ringwormcletus thread starter macrumors newbie

Because holding it in portrait orientation, like you would a Flip camera, just feels much more natural. It's also easier to drop, while holding it in landscape because you are trying not to obscure the camera or microphone with your fingers.

4. raulmujica macrumors newbie

No more tallscreen video

Totally agree -- check out the KinKast iPhone app to record widescreen video while holding the phone in portrait position http://kinkast.tumblr.com

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I personally am used to holding a video camera SIDEWAYS, like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-XR150-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B0031RGL2A
    BUT, I always hold my still cameras landscape, unless I want portrait photos.

Even if you trick the app into holding the camera sideways, that would mean the video would display sideways as well, while you're recording. Plus, I'd bet it's the arrangement of the sensor; the sensor is made to shoot portrait videos in portrait, and landscape videos in landscape.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

It's a nice app and I wouldn't mind paying $.99 for it but a subscription for a video recording app is (in my view and I don't know how to put this in a nicer way) not a smart idea.