iPhone Tax

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TreeFiddy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. TreeFiddy macrumors newbie

So the sales tax on the iPhone 4 is calculated based on the unsubsidized price of the model you purchase, regardless of what state you live in?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, no. The sales tax is charged on the unsubsidized price ONLY in those states that mandate it. IIRC from the previous iPhone release, there are 3 or 4 states that mandate that. In all others, you will pay sales tax on the subsidized price unless you're in a tax free state.

Despite what you may read online, companies don't charge tax, they only collect what they are legally required to by the state.

3. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

How do you find out which states these are?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Did a quick search and can't find the old thread. California (surprise) is one of them.

EDIT: Current thread

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

7. TreeFiddy thread starter macrumors newbie

So how would that affect preordering the phone from the Apple website? It'll just check the shipping address and adjust taxation appropriately?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, just like any other website that you buy something from, although, it might be from the billing address, I'm not sure. You have purchased online before haven't you?;)

9. TreeFiddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have, but usually I'm not buying subsidized goods, or goods expensive enough that I would notice the tax difference between my 6% and another state's 9%

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/EPE54B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Why bother worry about it. One thing is sure death and taxes. You'll have to pay what ever They dictate

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'm pretty sure they charge the tax rate for wherever you are shipping it to. At least, I notice it when I buy things online...NC debit card, but i live in CA.

12. TreeFiddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Because if taxes were that exorbitant, I'd probably opt for the 16gb rather than the 32gb