iPhone (temporarily) bricked.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Neeliosis, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

So I decided to be a retard and jailbreak my iOS 5-running iPhone 4. It has springboard issues, and it kept resprining every few seconds, until it shut off. I knew it was a tethered jailbreak, so obviously I'd have to run Redsn0w again. I happened to get an error though. It got stuck on "Waiting for Reboot".

Now when I try to downgrade, or restore, it just doesn't let me. My device build isn't eligible for the update. I'm making an appointment for the Apple store.

Until then, any advice? :(

2. Mazenat macrumors member

Be LEGIT

:D

3. genexrocket macrumors regular

Are you sure you can't wipe it clean, restore it from iTunes? I've heard there's no such thing as "bricking" an iPhone even from jailbreaking.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Apple made it clear any device updated to iOS 5 wouldn't be able to downgrade back to 4. He'll either have to beg for it to be replaced, which seriously doubting they'll do since he attempted a jailbreak, or wait until iOS 5 is released to the general public.

5. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

But there's no way telling that I jailbroke it. I restored it, it went through until the very last bit. That little bar under the Apple logo was almost full until it failed. I'm assuming that all of my data would've been wiped by then. Heck, I don't care if they replace it or not, just restore it! A replacement would be awesome though.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Nope.

If I try to restore with iOS 5 it gives me a "Build not eligible" error.

If I try to restore with 4.3.3, it gives me an error (1).

I do have my SHSH Blobs backed up though, but it refuses to downgrade, or kick out of recovery mode.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I downgraded from the beta with no issues whatsoever.

OP have you attempted the DFU restore?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Really? You tried to jailbreak an unreleased os and it gave you problems and you feel apple should fix it for free?

:cool:

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

I just don't get people that need shiny new IOS now. When it's in the earliest beta development most apps in the app store don't work let alone cydia.

btw iphones aren't temporarily bricked they either are or there not. have you tried a DFU mode restore?

10. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Yeah, I've tried a DFU restore. Still get an error (1).

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Tell us what happens at the Apple store. They might offer to replace it for $200

12. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

I still have warranty. It's software-related, so they'll either restore it somehow, or replace it for free.

13. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

Drop it and shatter the glass. You can pay the $200 then to get a replacement. :D

14. synagence macrumors 6502a

Apple retail stores don't deal with unreleased software errors / repairs .... its Apple Developer support...

So it all depends on whether when the Genius plugs it into their computer they have any way of seeing either JB or iOS5 in either case you'll then be SOL

15. war eagle, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011

war eagle macrumors 6502a

It doesn't even boot into the operating system so when he takes it in they won't even be able to tell the OS.

OP, take it in and theynwill try to restore it but more than likely they will just replace it. Same thing happened on my iPad one.

16. bornblind, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011

bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

The diag software they have will still read the history log from it. They more than likely be able to see what version of iOS was installed.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

haven't tried this myself, but it seems to have worked for many

ORIGINALLY POSTED ON GIZMODO BY JFI_MMX:

How go from iOS 5 to iOS 4.3.3

1). Get iTunes 10.5 beta

2). Get TinyUmbrella here

3). In TinyUmbrella, go to the "Advanced" tab (found in the middle of the screen) and Uncheck "Set Host to Cydia On Exit". Then click "Apply".

4). Restart your computer (Yes this IS Necessary)

5). Connect your iDevice to the computer and turn it on.

6). Launch iTunes (Ignore anything it may tell you)

7). Put it into DFU mode (Do this by holding down the Home button and power button at the same time for 10 seconds, after ten seconds release ONLY the power button, holding the home button down until iTunes tells you your device is in recovery mode (This may take 10-15 seconds) when iTunes tell you it is in recovery mode, release the Home Button)

8). You can now restore with iTunes back to 4.3.3 without issue

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Thank you. Also, the OP isn't clear on if the restore completed or not. He said it did but then mentioned the status bar was "almost full".

So... Since none of us wrote the OS and we can't be sure what kind of mood the Genius will be in, it's a roll of the dice on what's going to happen.

19. Blakey. macrumors member

Apple can and most likely will fix it for you. iOS 5 went haywire on my phone and it was completely stuck in recovery mode, so I took it to an Apple store and they put 4.3.3 on it. I had to take it to two Apple stores, as one store didn't want to fix it for me. A worker in another store had it working within ten minutes though.

20. iD3V1L macrumors newbie

I'm willing to provide you free support on Team Viewer.

All you need to do is put your device on DFU When i'm gonna ask you.
    :)

Hit me up with a message.
    :cool:

Ps:I Downgraded and Upgraded to iOS5 like 8 Times the other day

21. iD3V1L macrumors newbie

Download the latest version of Tiny Umbrella and Go to the advanced Option and Uncheck the "Set hosts to Cydia"
    Uncheck all the Options.
    If you have Wifi-Sync Please uninstall it from your computer.

Please REBOOT your computer after the above steps.

I'm sure you can easily do a clean restore to 4.3.3 or iOS 5

22. intrepid00 macrumors 6502

Check your hosts file for overrides of apple activation servers. Sometimes tiny umbrella blows it up and gets it stuck and during restore you fail half-way in with a legit firmware.

23. jm821 macrumors newbie

See my posts here as it was referring to 4.2.1 and this would apply to all JBs after 4.2.1 up to 4.3.3

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1160963

Lemme explain even though that link talks about 4.2.1...
    Now I have upgraded to iOS5 beta a couple times with iTunes 10.5 and downgraded back to 4.3.3 and received error code 1 (as I'm use to 1013 and 1015 codes). I believe error code 1 is from iTunes 10.5 (haven't found exactly where it derives from, either from hosts, or system settings or where ever). Even reinstalled iTunes 10.3.1 and still received error code 1. So you are stuck in bootloop which is fine because since 4.2.x, all JBs require to enter back into DFU and all JBs will kick you out of bootloop at the end process of the JB. So just run redsn0w/sn0wbreeze or whatever your preferred JB program for 4.3.3 even though you are stuck in bootloop. You'll be fine.

Going straight from iOS5 beta down to 4.2.1 I have experienced the same error code 1. Bootloop... but JBing it with Greenpois0n kicked it out of bootloop.

Both of those experiences, TU could not get me out of recovery bootloop. Even with modified hosts settings with admin permissions both with sauriks server on the hosts and without, TU will not kick me out of bootloop cycle.

Sorry for the long post, but just run your JB program even though you're in bootloop, the JB program will take care of that issue.

24. Ponchobot macrumors member

I had my iPhone 4 up to iOS 5 and then didn't like it so i downgraded to 4.3.3 with no problem. i put it in p0wned dfu mode and it took it no problem.

25. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Woah, so many replies.

Alright, the Genius told me it was probably a bug with iTunes 10.5.

The guy said that if I do have problems with iOS 5, and need to downgrade, I downgrade iTunes to 10.4. The problem was iTunes itself apparently. He restored it with no problems. :)