iPhone terminology confusion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hah116, Sep 24, 2007.

1. hah116 macrumors newbie

Forgive me for being so ignorant but I am very confused about the terminology associated with "unlocking" the iPhone.

If someone would be so kind to explain the differences between
    Hacking
    Unlocking
    SIM unlocking

When I get my iPhone, I want to attempt to (insert correct verb here) it so that I may use all of the features of the device except the phone. I want the email, the calendar... all of the rest of the features... minus the phone. And once my current cellular plan runs out, I want to be able to restore it and sign up with AT&T.

So what is the correct term for what I want to do?

Thanks!

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

The correct term is: iPod touch.

Just kidding.

Hacking is using any of the (many) available software applications to install 3rd party applications.

Unlocking and SIM Unlocking (same thing) are using an application to make a change to the firmware on the phone...which removes the lock to AT&T and allows you to use your SIM card from another provider.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

hacking = adding apps that have nothing to do with communication services. it's like added a program on to a computer.
    unlocking = sim unlocking = something i would hold off on doing. you HAVE to do this if you don't have ATT and want to get the phone activated.

I would just terminate your current contract and go with ATT.

4. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

What is activating all about?
    That just lets you use the phone as an iPod without having an AT&T subscription, no? Does this process count as hacking or does it change the firmware in some way, making it unlocking?